Help With Ich Treatment (bristlenose Pleco) Dose

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mvoigt, Aug 5, 2017.

1. mvoigtNew MemberMember

Hello,

Last weekend I got two new fish for my 10 gal tank: a baby bristlenose pleco and a male swordtail, and it has been quite a week. The very next day the swordtail managed to jump out of the 1.5 inch gap between the filter and tank lid (I feel terrible, I should have known to cover that hole, especially since those fish are jumpers) and I found him on the floor... He was still alive so I gently put him back in the tank, he must not have been out of the water that long. He immediately started swimming all around and acted pretty normal despite him just being on the floor. I had to go to work, and when I returned home the swordtail was pooping white EVERYWHERE. I thought he was probably just stressed from the jump. He did that for about a day then seemed completely normal (no white poop at all) for a couple/few days. Then he got ich and now my entire tank has ich. I am like 97% sure it is stress induced from the jump. Last night I started API's Super ich Cure at half dose because I am worried about hurting the bristlenose pleco. The ich looks about the same today :( How long does it take to start seeing results? Tomorrow night I need to do the next dose, should I do another half dose or full dose?

I did not want to use salt because of the pleco, or heat because high heat is not good for those either.

Tank:
    10 gal
    1 bristlenose pleco, the swordtail, 5 black neon tetras (yes I know it is overstocked but I did not plan on having the 5 tetras still)
    My tank is planted (although I do not care about losing the plants at this point), just curious will a full dose hurt my plants?
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrates: 0-.25, last readings I have because I can't test now that the water is tinted. Probably should have tested it right before putting the meds in but I was all worked up. I keep the tank very clean and temperature is around 76-78 F.

What I am most worried about: Will a full dose hurt my bristlenose pleco? He by far looks the best out of all the fish, he seems normal and has like two white spots. The swordtail has quite a few, I'd say hes at like a 7 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst. He is also back to pooping white/brown everywhere. Pleco like a 3, one tetra is like a 7-8 and the others are 6. They are all eating.

Please, any help is appreciated. The pleco is so sweet I don't want to hurt him but also hate seeing the other fish struggle and don't know if I should do the second round as a full dose.

2. FalValued MemberMember

So, I dont know enough to comment on the illness, although i think white poop is parasitic (dont take my word for it, coz i am nowhere near ready to give advice on that)

I do know one thing though. Your pleco can not be in a 10g.
    My bristlenose is at his absolute minimum in a 21g with a longer than normal base...

I'm pretty sure the swordtail might need at least a 20g as well.

3. Racing1113Well Known MemberMember

Is nitrates 0-.25 or nitrites? I would strongly recommend either rehoming the fish or upgrading your tank. None of the species that you have are suitable for a 10 gallon.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

We could get sidetracked on tank size - a 10 won't work for a sword or a bristlenose. But that's to be solved after the Ich is gone.
    I have used meds with those active ingredients full dose with bristlenoses and plants, with no problems. I used to combine the meds with an increase in heat to around 30, but that was tough on my plants, and you are far too overstocked to do that.
    The sword carried the Ich in. It is an animal, and right now, microscopic Ich parasites are swimming all over your tank. The dye in the med makes them incapable of reproducing, and kills them. The white spots you see are waiting to burst and release millions more of the parasite. The meds can't get to them inside the white cyst, and they are busily feeding on the fluids in your fish. They are only vulnerable when the cyst bursts.
    Oftentimes a new aquarist will miss the signs of Ich and not treat immedicately. That makes it take longer. I would expect 5-7 days for the spots to be gone - but follow the med instructions all the way through to kill them all.

5. OP
    OP
    m

mvoigtNew MemberMember

Thank you for sharing your experience with the meds. So you do think I can do the full dose today for the second dose?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice