20 Gallon Tank Help with HOB

PlantZombie
Hello FISHLORE and all who participate.

I am PlantZombie an entry level hobbiest, aquarist, aquascaper, what ever. I have a basic understanding of the nitrogen cycle as well as other basic chemistry related topics due to science classes. I chose my first tank to be a 20 gallon(not the long tank) AquaTech starter kit, with some plastic decorations, and some live plants.
Staurogyne repens and brazilian pennywort are rooted in eco complete with a layer of caribsea super natural aquarium sand for decoration.
I have a fluval submergable heater set at 75 Fahrenheit with the hopes of adding guppies first (maybe after 2 weeks during the nitrogen cycle) and then adding glofish tetras or danios once the cycle is complete.
I am currently at day 3 with a ph of around 7, amonia, nitrites, and nitrates all seem to read 0ppm with the API master fresh water test kit.
Products I have used so far are: Tetra Aquasafe, Tetra Complete Water Care Kit, and Seachem Flourish Advance.
More staurogyne repens, as well as red mellon sword, and amazon sword were purchaced from aquarium co-op because the previous plants looked healthy.
Seachem Prime water conditioner, and Seachem Flourish Excel (maybe a mistake but for carbon) as well as some Tetra Safe Start Plus(for the eventual fish) are on the way.
Now that all that is out of the way!
MY QUESTION IS?
During my first water change, I want to fix how there seems to be overflow in my HOB filter compartment, and water is seemingly escaping into the tank before it hits any of the filter media.
SECCOND QUESTION
Once the matter is resolved with my intake or whater is going on with my filter(if anything) I would like to know how/when can I change the stock cartridge media stuff, for a Fluval BioFoam with Fluval BioMax ceramic rings.

Sorry for all of the reading, any help would be much appreciated.
PlantZombie

Leeman75
Welcome to FishLore!! '
I'm assuming that you mean the small stream of water on the right in the second photo. It's odd because though the pictures of this picture on Amazon show the water not coming out of that, the design almost looks like it's a secondary output for overflow. I'm not an expert on this particular model, but I've used a lot of HOBs.

Typically when there is water overflowing it's because I've got a clog or too much media in the main area that is causing the output to not go out as fast. It's kind of hard to see in the pictures that you've posted because of the black color and shadows. Maybe if you take anothe pic or two with flash something will show up as the problem.

Kitley
Good morning, and welcome to Fishlore. When my HOB overflows...I turn down the water pressure on it. Also, is your HOB level? They come with a gadget in the back to level them, and often that falls out, leaving the HOB off balance, and not operating as it should.

Chris1212
I had to try different arrangements with my media to fix my overflow problem. What also helped was putting a prefilter sponge on the intake down in the tank.

For your second question, I would switch everything out now. The cartridge (carbon inside) is really only necessary to get things like meds out of the water. Also, the arrangement with the better media will be different and will affect the overflow problem differently than the stock cartridge currently is.

In my HOB (penguin 150) I use two sponges beneath a bag of seachem matrix. No cartridges. Cycle has been great since it was established. Prefilter sponge also helps with the cycle as it is another great place for bacteria to grow.

PlantZombie
Leeman75 said:
Welcome to FishLore!! '
I'm assuming that you mean the small stream of water on the right in the second photo. It's odd because though the pictures of this picture on Amazon show the water not coming out of that, the design almost looks like it's a secondary output for overflow. I'm not an expert on this particular model, but I've used a lot of HOBs.

Typically when there is water overflowing it's because I've got a clog or too much media in the main area that is causing the output to not go out as fast. It's kind of hard to see in the pictures that you've posted because of the black color and shadows. Maybe if you take anothe pic or two with flash something will show up as the problem.
I do not see any knob or button that would reduce the intencety of the water pump. I turned off the filter and verry lightly brushed the media in a bowl of tank water. At the moment there is only the media that came with the filter.
I turned off the filter and also made sure it was level, and that I re installed everything correctly. The filter is plugged back in now and the problem is seemingly still present.
I will try changing the media when it gets here. I will also look into geting a pre filter sponge. More surface area for beneficial bacteria. Thank you so much for all of your help! I am happy there is a place I can go with questions like these.
I will post again once the media has been swapped.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom