Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Guys

New Member here

Thank you for such good informative website thats a pleasure to use

Details of my setup :-

Juwel Rio 180 Aquarium apprx 48 galls
Juwel Compact filter system with extra Cirax filter block (recentley added)
The tank is generously planted with artificial plants in a sand substrate
with rock cave & various hiding places ready for the fish to use.

I cycled the tank naturally (fishless) as suggested in your excellent website article,
all water quality readings were OK after just over 7 weeks

Then I made the mistake of adding too many fish in one go.....

6 Zebra Danios/ 4 platys/ 6 Guppies/ 1 Bristlenose Catfish

The water balance went out of whack, ammonia shot up to 4 and I lost one of the Guppies
all the others have so far survived!

I imeadiatly did a 50% water change with dechlorinated tap water & used the new ammolock
product that protects the fish from Ammonia but does not effect the bacteria colony !!??

I am continuing to do daily 25-30% water changes temprature matched to the aquarium water temp. and use ammolock every 2 days at the recomended dose

I would appreciate some feedback if someone could clarify a couple of points for me.

My PH reading is pretty steady @ 6.4, I read somewhere that if the PH reading is under 7.0
then the ammonia in the Aquarium water would be harmless to the fish, something to do with
different types of ammonia produced in water with low or high PH.
if so should I stop using the ammolock product and just continue with the daily water changes

My last readings taken this morning are PH = 6.4 / Ammonia = 4 /Nitrite= 1 / Nitrate = 5
the ammonia reading seems to be still high after 5 water changes so could the Ammolock be giving me a false reading.

Regards Seeba

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

From what I've read, Ammo-lock converts the ammonia to a non-toxic form but it is still in the water so you will get positive ammonia results while using it.

I'm not sure if ammonium is totally non-toxic to fish, but you're lucky to have the lower pH! The higher the pH, the more toxic the ammonia becomes.

I'd suggest doing at least 50% daily water changes to get rid of the ammonia and nitrItes and keep using the Ammo-Lock until your mini-cycle is over.

-Lisa

Seeba

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the prompt reply Lisa
I will heed your advice

Regards Matt...(Seeba)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom