Help with high Alkalinity, but low ph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Alkalinity is 3.0 meg/l and my ph is 8.05 using my seahem test kit. Using my api test kit shows a ph of 8.0.

It seems like my alkalinity is on the high side while my ph is on the low side. Is this something I should start to worry about?

I do have some Seahem superbuffer that is suppose to raise ph, but I haven't ever used it. Should I start add this? Or just wait and watch my ph/alkalinity and not worry about this unless something changes for the worst.

ibiaquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
when did you check your Ph.. at night time/evenings it tends to drop slightly to lower side and picks up more the next day.

Also do yo have livestock... on adding live stock this can also sometimes swing you Ph.. my ph was stable between 8.17 & 8.22 for about a month, i added a blenny and 3 chromis, now its dropped to 8.09, not saying that was the reason, but app it can be.

I also use a Ph pen so i can check very very often.. (invest in one, well worth it) my alk was on the low side.. so i did a water change and added half the amount of proposed buffer.

Another thing is, if you have live stock depending what you have they take the minerals/neutrients from the water.. so ur alk and calcium levels would maybe drop! When i had no livestock my levels were the same pretty much all the time.

few areas you could maybe look into. Hopefully few other saltys can aid you a little more!

For anyone else that replys, you may correct me if im wrong with anything! Part of my leanring curve

Last edited:
OP
L

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just did another check this morning. It's still the same at 8.05 and 3.5meg/l. But it's holding soild. I may do a buffer treatment, If I do I'll go half like you did.

I haven't added any new livestock in weeks. My calcium is 440. I am going to 2 part dose it today. I've been shooting for 480 on it.

I do have couple of pens, but they aren't reading right. I think I need them calibrated. I just trust the drops so much more.

My ph has been at 8.2 and very solid, but my last water change was from a different source. I have a RO/Distilled machine and that was the water I used. I tested it and the ph of it was 6.8, before I added my salt mix.
I've been using RO water from my local Walmart/Calligan machine. It's ph was closer to 7.0.

You the first one to reply and a few day old post. So I'm guess this isn't a life or dealth deal on my tank. So having almost no replies has been kind of calming thing. So I"m not real worried as long as it doesn't drop anymore.

ibiaquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol not too get you too worried, but i think people really do read more then they can be bothered to type! Its quite frustrating i have many questions waitiing to be answered and i know out of the 20 odd views, someone must know lol! grrr.
But anyway I would only worry if it does a major drop, but as long as your aware.. then ur in control. You should be ok!

Yeh my tap water has a high ph, i will invest in a ro unit but for all my 5 months ive had not a problem. Maybe yours is a little on the lower side as its ro/distilled water, treated/softened.

What do you use for your 2 part does may i ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom