Help With Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pishies, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

Hi everyone.

I have lots of hair algae in some on my betta tanks. Its been going on for awhile now. I've tried reducing light to around 6-8 hours and I've tried removing it several times during water changes.

It just wont go away. Its over everything. The fish are even getting caught in it! Its growing all over the other live plants.

No ferts are being used. I have low nitrate (around 5).

What can I do to get rid of this hair algae? Its getting out of hand.

Thank you.

2. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

You could try blacking out the tank. Three/four days of no light (wrapping tank in towel), nitrates about 20-30ppm before you begin. I've never tried this though for hair algae. I was lazy and bad and wanted shrimp for my tank anyways, so I got three Amano shrimp (@KinsKicks :) ).

To be frank, these guys are amazing! In the day I got them, they ate the whole back wall of hair algae, which was practically a wall of cotton candy by then. Let me post before and after pics.

Before: KIMG0681.jpg

After:

KIMG0688.jpg

The next day, they cleaned up the little pagoda. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Pishies

Wow! What a difference. My tanks look like your 'before' photo :mad:

4. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

They are fun and interesting creatures - awesome clean up crew as well. It's too dark for me to take a pic of the tank now, but hair algae is all gone-zo. :)

Getting livestock to solve a problem isn't always the best course of action though - you have to be ready to care for them after clean up is done!

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

I agree about the livestock; although they shouldn't be immediately considered; its 100x better than resorting to chemicals. And they are pretty adaptable shrimp after all; and aren't something that won't be considered an irresponsible purchase (like a pleco for brown diatoms in a 30g tank for example)

I wish you the best of luck!!

Although; what's the color of the hair algae?
    Brown/black usually indicates low CO2 while the green algae can mean a higher iron (like in your tap if you're not dosing)

6. OP
    OP
    Pishies

Its green! But its not in all of my tanks, just some of them:banghead:

7. KinsKicks

Is there some sort of commonality in the tanks that have it? Like lighting, the amount of plants, etc. I know you said they're in the Betta tanks; which I'm guessing are pretty small (aka, the nutrients and stuff go out of whack faster/harder to control sometimes)

8. OP
    OP
    Pishies

Yes they are the same type of tanks and lighting and plants. 10g and 8 g tanks

9. KinsKicks

It might be the excess of iron in your water; it's not that unsurprising depending on where you live; and especially in the smaller tanks, things can fluctuate a bit. See if you can get a water composition thing from your city or whatnot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice