Help with guppy that keeps breathing at the top of the tank

vanflute

I would love some help with one of my guppies! Here's some brief tank history: I have a 9 gallon tank, got it on 1/10 and started cycling it with no fish in it, put some plants and decorations in, and started putting beneficial bacteria in with a store-bought liquid that claims to start tanks off with the right bacteria.

I got my 3 guppies (2 female, 1 male) and a nerite snail on 1/14. I introduced them correctly by floating the bags first etc. They were all doing well on the first day, but then on 1/15 morning, one of the female guppies seems to be freaking out. She's just floating at the top of the tank all day, breathing really hard, and she won't eat. The other two guppies are mostly ignoring her now, but continue to seem fine otherwise (eating, playing, etc).

I saw that this may be because there's not enough oxygen in the tank. I already moved my filter output to create a bigger splash at the top of the tank on 1/15 morning.. She still isn't doing better at all, and seems more lethargic than ever. I tested the water, the water hardness, pH, etc all seem to be right, and the tank is at 76 degrees with a heater.

I'm really concerned she's going to die and I'm not sure what else could be causing her to float at the top and breathe hard.

I'd really appreciate some help!

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Do you have a test kit to check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

The bacteria in a bottle will help but will not make the tank instantly cycle. A cycle takes about a month plus. Click the Blue letters and read about the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle so you can get a better idea how it works.

I would change half of the water everyday until you can get an ammonia test if you dont have one already. Whenever fish act strange it is always a good idea to change water as the first thing you do. :)

50% weekly after the cycle is done is a good preventative for healthy fish.

vanflute

My test does GH, KH, pH, NO2 and NO3. I was under the impression that NO2 and NO3 are what test for ammonia as well? the NO2 and NO3 readings are minimal, very close to 0.

I'll definitely change some of the water today and see if that helps!
Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Do you have a test kit to check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

The bacteria in a bottle will help but will not make the tank instantly cycle. A cycle takes about a month plus. Click the Blue letters and read about the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle so you can get a better idea how it works.

I would change half of the water everyday until you can get an ammonia test if you dont have one already. Whenever fish act strange it is always a good idea to change water as the first thing you do. :)

50% weekly after the cycle is done is a good preventative for healthy fish.
I got an ammonia test as well, there's 0 ammonia in the water, (and 0 nitrite and nitrate from my test this morning)... any other suggestions? I don't know what else to do.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JakeXP
Replies
Views
Neurogirl1515
Replies
Views
Mahis
Replies
Views