Help with guppy - he is shaking and darting, fins teared

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Cbsaid, Dec 2, 2012.

1. C

Cbsaid New Member Member

Hello!
    I have a 33 gallon tank, cycled
    Is a little bit crowded since my mollies dont stop giving birth, (I'm donating babies to a friendly pet store)
    Recently I had a problem in my tank with ph levels, the ph was lowering around 6.8.
    Now I have buffer to set on neutral 7.0 since I have in my tank mollyes, swordtail, guppy and neon tetras, one big yellow snail and cordyroba fish.
    Well, from this time I noticed the low ph change in my tank (I dont know the motive is getting lower since my tap water is neutral ph)
    Just one of the male guppy looks sick. He had a problem in the past with his fin teared, but nothing that changed his behavior for several months. These last days I've noticed he is trembling and shaking, having some sort of spasm that make him kind of jump..
    I separated him in the hospital tank, I dont know if he have bacterial infection about the teared fin, or if is the ph problem that made him sick.
    The other guppyes are all fine.
    I started to treat him with Melafix.
    Could anyone knows what is his problem, and if I'm treating him right?
    And also , some clue about my tank being lowering ph?
    Thanks so much

Info about my tank:
    33 gallon
    29 degrees celsius
    ph6.8 - now going to 7.0
    ammonia - 0.25
    nitrites - 0.25
    Water change > 30% once a week
    planted aquarium

2. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967 Valued Member Member

Dont know enough about guppies to help with symptoms but temp seem a little high for these types of fish.Someone more experienced may be able to agree/disagree with me.

3. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

Well, the first thing that strikes me is the ammonia and nitrite levels which is probably causing it. Your first job is to sort that out. How long has the tank been set up? It's possible that the tank is doing a mini cycle.

As for the guppy, it could be a form of the shimmies. That isn't a specific disease but a sign of something, probably the deadly ammonia. The water quality in the hospital tank needs to be perfect, any worse and he will die.

The 0.2 drop in Ph won't have caused that and I don't think 0.2 is going to be a problem. The high temp is something to watch though, it should be around 25C. But someone more experienced can help on that.

4. OP
    OP
    C

Cbsaid New Member Member

Thanks! ye.. I'm for some time now in a battle with nitrites and ammonia levels, I have now Seporax in my filtrage system looking to make it better.
    I'm suspecting could be the high number of fish (?).. just this morning more 20 molly fry appeared!
    maybe could be it? I have around 10 swordtail, 10 mollye (+20 fry of this morning) , 1 cordyroba, 1 snail, one barb, 10 guppy
    in my quarantine tank 3 neon tetra and a colisa
    I'll look on google about shimmie.. I dont know what is this
    Thanks again!

5. OP
    OP
    C

Cbsaid New Member Member

Oh, I forgot, the tank have now 8 months.
    The high temperatures are a problem, here is a tropical weather country, without heater the water is aroud 29 degrees now in summer.. so is really hot.. i don't know how to cool the water down too...
    thanks !!

6. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Wow tha is a lot of livebearers! I would imagine this would put a strain on the bacteria in your filter.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Cbsaid New Member Member

Yes, this is also a problem for me! even I gave all my male mollies, the females continue to give birth :/ .. I wonder what to do with the guppies also, since I have females and males...
    The only way is to not have both genders I suppose... My fish are very fertile :/

8. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

All live-bearers are very fertile teehee and a female can have multiple pregnancys from one mating session. I would suggest donating the fry to your lfs if the will have them. I would also try re-homing some of the live-bearers and upping your cory school they prefer larger numbers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice