HELP with guppies!

1. DRUCKEN Initiate Member

I bought 3 guppies at the pet store a few weeks ago, and the lady said they were all male.  Evidently, at least one is a female because a yesterday I discoverd a baby in the tank.  I don't know whether I'm supposed to separate them or what in the world I'm supposed to do with them!!  I have never had guppies before.  The baby has been hiding in a little house at the bottom since I saw it, but I'm not even sure if it's still there!  What should I do??

ANY ADVICE is welcome!!

Natalie

2. fletch Member Member

Re: HELP with gupipies!

the babies should really be in a breeding tank so that they are safe. If you dont have a breeding tank use a net by resting it over the side of the tank into the water. You'll need to feed the babies liquifry flakes first and then brine shrimp when theyre a few weeks old. dont let them out untill they are to big to fit in the biggest mouth in your tank. at least 3/4- an inch long. you can tell male from female guppies by looking at their tails. Males have larger more colourfull tails and females have smaller less brightly coloured tails.

3. fletch Member Member

There should also be more than one baby depending on how old the female is

4. Susie Initiate Member

Maybe she was really hungry?

5. fletch Member Member

haha, good point! ;D

6. Craig Well Known Member Member

try and get a small tank or breeding tank for the babies i know my best m8 (luke) breeds guppies and swordtails he got a breeding tank 4 £40 small heater and filter included get them in2 a smaller tank and of course feed them the special baby food they r at risk bein possiby eaten if u dont remove them from ur main tank

7. FishFan Member Member

I, too, had this happen. It was actually a fry that was accidentally caught with other fish I was buying. Needless to say, it disappeared (snack time) really quick! In a 55 gallon tank, it was amazing I even saw it...it was there, then it was gone. Good luck if it does make it :)