*Help with goldfish diagnosis and treatment*

Katelynn Tenbrook

What is the water volume of the tank? 75 gallons

How long has the tank been running? Over a year

Does it have a filter? A canister for a 100 gallon tank

Does it have a heater? Raising temp to 80 currently

What is the water temperature? 76

What is the entire stocking of this tank? 6 fancy goldfish (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? Every week

How much of the water do you change? 15%

What do you use to treat your water? Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Usually just the water

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water? API test kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: about 60ppm

pH:unknown

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? Every other day

How much do you feed your fish?a large pinch

What brand of food do you feed your fish? All kinds

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?

Sometimes

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? I added 2 new ones two weeks ago.

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 2-3 days

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White cotton fuzz on face and what appears to be fish lice

Have you started any treatment for the illness? 10 tablespoons of salt in tank. No medication

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No but one fish managed to bang stuff in come decore and I had to put him in his own tank for treatment but now these other fish in my main tank have white cotton on their faces.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Flashing and slow down

I need help on what I should be treating them with/ a diagnosis.

Sofiafish17

I have no idea about the fish lice situation, I don’t even see it but I am not saying it isn’t there. I’m going to say Columnaris for the cotton fuzz. I would say you need to take serious action and FAST. Columnaris takes over a fish’s immune system very quickly and they may look fine and then a few hours later the infection area has grown substantially. I would say combine Furan-2 and Kanaplex. Hit it hard with Methylene Blue. Repeating treatment more than directed on the box and double dosing may even be needed here. Fish usually recover from this just fine if the right actions are taken soon enough after the infection develops.

jtjgg

#1. water changes need to be 50-75%

#2. nitrate should be less than 40ppm, but less than 20ppm is recommended. this ties in to #1 larger water changes.

did you quarantine the new fish in a separate tank?

clean water prevents many illnesses, and promotes healing.

large water changes removes wastes that we don't test for, like phosphates, heavy metals, dissolved organic compounds, hormones, etc. it also replenishes trace minerals and carbonates that the bacteria, fish, plants, etc consume.

Katelynn Tenbrook

jtjgg said:
#1. water changes need to be 50-75%

#2. nitrate should be less than 40ppm, but less than 20ppm is recommended. this ties in to #1 larger water changes.

did you quarantine the new fish in a separate tank?

clean water prevents many illnesses, and promotes healing.

large water changes removes wastes that we don't test for, like phosphates, heavy metals, dissolved organic compounds, hormones, etc. it also replenishes trace minerals and carbonates that the bacteria, fish, plants, etc consume.
I have always been afraid to do large water changes because I once accidentally shocked my fish and they died. I fear “over doing it” I did my first 30% yesterday and have started treating with kanaplex. I will slowly start changing my water 50% weekly.(more often right now since they’re sick but you know what I mean) thay are already staring to look better

jtjgg

if you feel more comfortable, you can do two 30% water changes per week instead of one 50% water change.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom