Help with Fry and is this parasites??

MzMolly65

When I bought my WCMM there were 6 in the LFS tank .. 3 healthy and lively, 3 not so much.

I asked for the 3 healthy ones, hoping the only reason the others were not so well was stress, dirty water, etc.

When the staff member did the catch I knew right away I had 2 healthy and 1 of the not-so healthy, so he went back in and grabbed the healthy one and sent me home with 4 (for the price of 3)

That was March 1. The not-so-healthy one died within 2 days which I suspected might happen but since March 1 I've lost two more. They become lethargic, color fades and then they stop eating and die within a few days.

The last one left alive seems totally healthy, active, eating, etc.

Does anyone know if this is a parasite or something else? I'm uncertain if I should be treating the tank or not.

The LFS just got in a batch of WCMM fry for feeders so I asked for 5 of them. When I got home I looked in the bag and there's 6 (which is more than I wanted in this tank). One is missing all of it's tail :-[ hard to know if it will survive or not. They're just over 1/2 inch in size. I bought a breeding box to keep them from being eaten by the last adult in the tank, just until they're a little bigger. I have small food for them and some of the frozen stuff that I can blend and mix to make it small enough.

All advice appreciated.

catsma_97504

Do these fish show any signs of ill health? Growths, bloated, etc? Check your water parameters. As some of your original fish were obviously stressed, it may be possible the the healthier ones were stressed as well, just didn't show any signs.

I would suggest testing your water parameters and doing a 50% water change. Then, continue to monitor closely.

BTW - The only way I can purchase WCMM is as feeder fish. You never know what you'll end up with. I have one fish that lost an eye.

Good luck!

MzMolly65

Do these fish show any signs of ill health? Growths, bloated, etc?

No .. no signs of ill health *physically*. Unless there's something internal going on, which is why I asked about parasites.

Just the slow decline for no obvious reason and then they die. The current adult is quite lively, jumps for food, swims around actively ..

I hope she? doesn't have something that she'll pass on to the fry. If she does I'd like to treat her before it's too late.

catsma_97504

It is were parasites, then you would have lost her by now, I'd think. Have you tried feeding shelled peas?

MzMolly65

It is were parasites, then you would have lost her by now, I'd think. Have you tried feeding shelled peas?

Yes, they get a shelled pea once a week and love it. Like I said .. the one that's left seems healthy. It's the 3 I lost that I'm wondering about and trying to determine why.

catsma_97504

With no outward signs, this may be something that you can never answer with confidence. Instead, I would suggest you focus on your new school and keep them as healthy as possible to minimize losses.

Sorry, I cannot be of more help.

Mermaid77

With no outward signs, this may be something that you can never answer with confidence. Instead, I would suggest you focus on your new school and keep them as healthy as possible to minimize losses.

Sorry, I cannot be of more help.

I agree with Catsma. Sounds like you may have started off with some fish that were stressed and possibly already weakened. If they were intended to be feeders, its possible that they were kept in much less than ideal conditions before you got them. I think you should focus on keeping your new batch in pristine water conditions. Clean water and low stress conditions can do wonders for fish. Even more than medicating sometimes. Maybe they just need some TLC now that they have a nice new home.

MzMolly65

If they were intended to be feeders, its possible that they were kept in much less than ideal conditions before you got them.

Actually the first ones I bought were not being sold as feeders, but these new fry were sold that way and I was happy to have them at 17 cents each LOL .. much cheaper than the $3 I paid for the originals.

Either way I'm not in a hurry to medicate since I don't know what's wrong but if these were obvious signs of parasites and experienced fish keepers were saying medicate, I'd take their word for it.

My thoughts are the same as yours .. just keep doing the best I can for them and see what happens with these new ones. If I end up losing them all too, then I think I'll just keep the shrimp in this tank without adding any more fish .. at least not for a while.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom