Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Help With Fishless Cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Jackiecharm, Apr 13, 2019.

1. JackiecharmNew MemberMember

Hello!
    I just started cycling my very first tank. Its a 5.5 gallon and I'm planning in getting abetta fish.
    So I added the conditioned water, got my heater and filter running, and after a couple days added pure ammonia until it reached 2ppm.
    Then I added a bottle of tetra safe start. After 6 days my ammonia is still at 2-3ppm, with 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Is this normal? I'm wondering if I got an expired bottle, or does it take a while for the ammonia to go down?
    Thanks!

Also, the water was cloudy for the first 5 days, and now it is crystsl clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
  2. DonthemonValued MemberMember

Well Safestart has ammonia in it. Usually used for a fish in cycle. Cloudy could be bacteria bloom. Do a water change. At least 50 percent. Then decide which route you want to go. Fish in or out. Then use just the ammonia or just Safestart and add fish which will be the ammonia source to cycle the tank.

3. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I would not do a water change. There's no need as there are no fish and water parameters are well within limits.

Cycling with both ammonia and TSS can be very effective. I expect once things get moving they'll move fairly fast.

Yes, it can take a little while for ammonia to drop but also yes, some bacteria boosters can be duds. Even if the TSS was bad the pure ammonia will get things going.

I usually see nitrites start appearing (as ammonia gets converted) in Week 2. Any sign of them yet?

Cranking the heat to around 82° can help speed things up. Just remember to turn it back down before stocking.

4. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

what's you pH?

5. JackiecharmNew MemberMember

Thankels everyone! Still no signs if ammonia dropping, in day 8, and my pH is about 7.8. Guess I'll just have to wait!