Help With Fishless Cycle

Shelley Kimberling

Reaction score
I am trying to cycle a 120 gallon tank, fishless with Stability and Prime at 83 degrees, PH 7.4. I added ammonia to 4ppm, added prime every 48 hrs, and stability as directed for 8 days. It has been 3 days since my last dose of Stability. As of 3 days ago my ammonia was still at 4 ppm, nitrites are off the charts, and nitrates at 20 ppm. This has remained the same for all 3 days. Has the cycling process stalled. Do you have a suggestion for me. Thank you for your help .

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you add ammonia during the cycle?
It shouldn't be 4 still if the cycle has started converting. 1 ammonia becomes ~3 nitrates.

Shelley Kimberling

Reaction score
I added ammonia at the start of the cycle when I started the Stability. The ammonia has just dropped to 2 ppm and nitrites past the API test and nitrates at 40. Just tested. How long does it take for the nitrites to lower?

Thank you

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shelley Kimberling said:
I added ammonia at the start of the cycle when I started the Stability. The ammonia has just dropped to 2 ppm and nitrites past the API test and nitrates at 40. Just tested. How long does it take for the nitrites to lower?

Thank you
Nitrite conversion is almost always slower than Ammonia conversion, keep Ammonia at ~2ppm and give it another week and you'll see it start to reign in.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom