Help With Fishless Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ChuthuluFish, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

Hello new to the forums!I'm re starting up the hobby after a year. Disease and damaged heater ended my 10g then it leaked. I've literally just 3 days ago put distilled water in a 5g , its all I have left . So the point is how do I a fishless cycle . Also does adding ammonia help kick start? Also an hardy LPS fish or invertebrates and snails work to. Sorry for the mouth full ,any help welcome . I also no arena g is going to be hard,over stocking,water parameters,space and filter capacity

Here's a photo 4eb3db9b8408d05a5289bda3e5bfb98c.jpg

2. KiksWell Known MemberMember

I cycled both my tanks (30g/112l and 14g/56l) with pure ammonia. It's pretty easy as long as you have a decent test kit. I suggest the API, it's the one I have and it seems to be working great. If you can't find it at a local store (I couldn't), you can find it on Ebay/Amazon.
    Buy pure ammonia with nothing added. Add it to the tank in very small doses. For a 5g I'd start out with maybe 1 ml/0.03 oz. Wait a little while and then test the waters. Keep going till you reach 1 - 2 ppm ammonia. It will take a shorter while to cycle it with 1 ppm than 2, but your tank will be ready for a higher bio load if you cycle it for 2 ppm. It's all up to you.
    When you've added the ammonia you wait till it drops to 0.25. When it does that you add more ammonia (up to 1 - 2 ppm again) and then you wait till it drops to 0.25. You repeat the process over and over again until your tank goes from 1 - 2 ppm to 0.25/0 ammonia in 24 hours or less.
    During the process you'll be able to measure some nitrites. If they get above 4 - 5 ppm, do a water change to bring them down a bit.
    When your tank has 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and some nitrates your tank is cycled. Before adding fish you do a large water change (around 80%) to bring down the nitrates to a fish-friendly level (around 5 - 10 ppm). Then you add fish!

You can also add products to help the process along, just remember that these don't make your tank ready after a couple of days no matter what someone at a store says. You can buy a bottle of TSS if you want. Also remember to use something to treat the water. Prime, AquaSafe or whatever you can find at your store.

3. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

Thank you so much . Also I think every time I click on post it opens a new one?

4. KiksWell Known MemberMember

What do you mean that it opens a new one?

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

5. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Excellent advice from Kiks. It's no big deal right now because you will change out water eventually, but while you wait for a cycle do some research on the benefits of using some real water. The minerals it contains are very beneficial to fish. They don't live in pure H2O in nature.

6. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

I'll have 16$on Saturday to get new water gallons a test kit I can only afford paper and some pure ammonia. Also I think I spammed the post button because i see my same post about 5 times?

7. PokeTileCraft101Valued MemberMember

I would recommend (as someone did to me) seachem stability

It really worked for me

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I understand a tight budget. A liquid kit would serve you much better if you could save up for it. It might last a few years with a 5.5G tank before anything needs a refill. Test results you can't trust aren't worth much. A small tank is far more volatile so accurate tests are even more important. I'm sure you want to get started and you could launch the cycle with ammonia and a few tests from the local fish stores who will test your water for free.

9. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

A lot of people use ammonia to cycle their tanks...it seems to go a little faster if you use a bacteria booster like tetra safe start plus, or stability. I wouldn't use any fish/inverts or snails. Just patience and a lot of testing :)

10. ASquidabs0727Well Known MemberMember

Ask others to confirm this, but I would use dechlorinated tap water instead of distilled. When using distilled there is no buffering agent to keep the ph stable. @Kiks

11. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the help I could ask my mom for a "loan" and get the app fresh water test kit .isnt it like 30$s though .as far as planing ahead ,stocking the tank with
    1Betta
    3Cherry shrimp
    1nerite snail
    ???

12. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

That's true, and if you have no dechlorinator you can plan ahead and set a five gallon bucket out and age it a few days, and it's ready. There is a problem with tap water though. Without accurate testing equipment you don't know what you have during cycling. I am on a well but I checked my neighboring town's water today just for fun. Well over 1.o ppm ammonia because it is spring. That would be an issue.

13. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Some betta are happy to share their space, some see anything else in their tank as an expensive (for you) snack. It depends on the temperment of the betta.

14. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

I have API water conditioner

15. ASquidabs0727Well Known MemberMember

A dechlorinater would be best as setting it out won't get rid of heavy metals and chloramine. Seachem Prime is a great one and will detoxify ammonia for 48hrs if there is ammonia in your tap water. However since you have that water conditioner I would test the tap to make sure there isn't any ammonia. That is of course once you use your "loan" and get the test kit.

16. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

API kit is even cheaper online if you know somebody with Amazon Prime, or whatever it's called. You can still dose your tank without the kit to get started. You just can't proceed too far along without testing.

I agree with all that Asquib and that is what I use. We are working with a young man's tight budget. I'd buy a larger tank before I spent too much on chemicals. He doesn't have the money. He is doing a fishless cycle so many of Seachem Primes benefits are useless.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  17. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

18. ASquidabs0727Well Known MemberMember

It's 31.99 at petco but you could sign up for their reward program and you might get a couple dollars off

Good point. The OP current dechlorinater (API water conditioner) he has should work. :) But I still recommend he gets a test kit and makes sure there is no ammonia in his tap after the cycle (before he adds fish.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  19. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

Thanks every one . I used to believe every thing the pet store pepole said such as. 3mollies and3comet Goldie's in 5.5g . This forum saved me from quoting the hobby .

20. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Might be best if you give us your 30 day budget Navy. And clarify if you are cycling with zero fish in tank or not. I do it both ways. With fish is more complicated and more expensive for sure. Time is virtually the same in my experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice