Help With Fish

1. Candise

Candise New Member Member

Hi, I was given these fish. I think they are called gromies or something. One is constantly chaising the other and nipping at fins. It's constant. Should I move one to a diffrent tank? Picture attached.

Attached Files:

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

How big is thier tank? The fin nipping is due to the small tank. Do you have the water parameters? Welcome to the forum.
    Edit: they are called gouramis. The name is pronounced goo rawe m ees

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

One is a dwarf gourami and the other is maaaybe a chocolate gourami, but not 100% sure.

It is not recommended to mix species of gourami, so I would rehome both of them. We can help you stock your tank appropriately after that.

4. OP
    OP
    Candise

Thank you! Is it ok to leave one in this tank and move 1 to another tank? I have a couple of red wag platys and a couple of Dalmatian mollies in this tank with them.

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Depends.... how big is the tank? Is the tank cycled and do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

6. Lollipop0912

I’d find homes for both of them. The tank they currently have looks to be 5is gallons at most. For gouramis, 30 gallons is recommended.

7. OP
    OP
    Candise

Yes it's just a 10 gallon tank and I'm a complete beginner. This is my second tank. It was given to me a few days back fish And all And im a bit in over my head I think. My first is a 50 gallon that has 1 dragon gobie and 1 Oscar and a few big snails. Iv had that for about 6 months but other than feeding and cleaning this tank pretty much takes care of itself.

This 10 gallon is problematic at best. The fish are fighting. There are 10 in this small tank. There is only 1 female to each male Platy. I was told 1 was pregnant but I have no idea. Ph is at 7.5 Ammonia 0 nitrate 2 and 3 are both 0.

Trying to locate another tank to spread them out a bit.

8. Lollipop0912

Poor , poor fish! You deffinately need a 30 gallon for all of them. Still it wouldn’t be cycled. Is there any local fish store that can take them in?

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

So you have 2 platy's, 2 mollies and two gourami's in a 10 gallon tank? If so you are overstocked. Mollies need a larger tank (I think at least a 20 gallon long or possible a 29g). Also, your Dwarf Gourami should have a minimum tank size of at least 15g I believe, but it may be 20.

I'm not familiar with the gourami that was identified as a chocolate gourami, but I do know that you really can't keep two dwarf gourami's in a small tank, since they will fight to the death. So I think you will have to separate those two, because it seems like the chocolate gourami seems to be behaving the way a dwarf gourami would.

10. OP
    OP
    Candise

Thank you. Thinking this would be the best place to find some help. The tank was given to me a few days back fish And all And im a bit in over my head.
    The fish are fighting. There are 10 in this small tank. There is only 1 female to each male Platy. I was told 1 was pregnant but I have no idea. Picking up a 50 gallon this weekend. So sounds like i need to seperate those two and I know I need more female platys.

the most ideal situation but I'm trying to sort it out.