Help With Fish-in Cycle

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Joey Fish said:
no drop in ammonia nor am i seeing any Nitrite or Nitrate.. Don't know what I could be doing wrong.. Fish alive and well and eating...
what test kit are you using?
how many fish are in your tank?
what is your exact ammonia?

we can help better if we knew the answers to the above...also, did you use any bottled bacteria or cycle starter when you started?

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
3 danios... Ammonia is between 1-2ppm and hasn't moved.. been the same for days and yes I'm currrently dosing Prime and Stability.. tomorrow is the 7th day of the stability dosing.. not sure what I'm doing wrong. pH is 7.6 and temp is 80 degrees constantly.

API master test kit. I also currently am encountering a bacteria bloom

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A biobloom is a good thing at this point, your bacterial colony is ramping up. Prime can cause false readings on the Ammonia tests (don't recall which test brands aren't affected) but I would suggest you keep Prime going until Nitrates come up. This will keep your Ammonia in a non-toxic form. Continue monitoring, best of luck.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Joey Fish said:
3 danios... Ammonia is between 1-2ppm and hasn't moved.. been the same for days and yes I'm currrently dosing Prime and Stability.. tomorrow is the 7th day of the stability dosing.. not sure what I'm doing wrong. pH is 7.6 and temp is 80 degrees constantly.

API master test kit. I also currently am encountering a bacteria bloom
sounds like you're on the right track, mate. a bacteria bloom is a good thing.

have you tested your tap water direct from the tap for ammonia?

it sounds like your bacteria are being slow to start. you're being sure to condition all new water and not clean the filter media with unconditioned tap water, right?

if so, then my initial reaction is you might want to double the dose of stability (that worked for me).

it doesn't sound like you're doing anything obviously wrong. patience is key, though...

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the response guys

and AMmonia hasn't gone down, No nitrite/Nitrate readings yet... I dosed Stability for 7 days as directed, and using Prime to detoxify so my fish are safe during this process.. but It's a bit tiring not seeing any different readings whatsoever yet... Cause for concern or what? I am using RO Water if that mnakes any difference

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of fish do you have in there? RO water by itself doesn't have much if any buffering because virtually all the salts have been taken out. This is a common rookie error. Don't worry, I did it, too. Your water parameters will bounce all over the place without buffering. Please read up on this topic.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
On my 13th day of a fish-in cycle.. 3 danios, all alive and well and swimming and eating fine.. my ammonia seems to be between 4ppm-8ppm and there's no signs of nitrites/nitrates yet..

I'm using RO water which is remineralized so pH/kh/GH is all great, temp sits at roughly 79-81 degrees.. I have a few live plants in here as well.. is it normal or should I have seen Nitrites already? I want my tank to cycle so I can add more fish!

I was recommended by 2 LFS not to do water changes during cycles, should I be doing water changes or not? I get mixed information on here and at my local fish stores as well.. this cycle stuff is utterly confusing considering it's not really 'straightforward' in any sense

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey, your ammonia counts seem to very high for fish in cycle, I would suggest doing a 50-70% water change daily over next 3 days to bring it below 1ppm and dose with prime so it can neutralize the affect on the fishes. With fish in cycle, you will need to keep checking ammonia and nitrites and anytime one of them approaches 1ppm do a water change. I am afraid the method suggested by your LFS will kill the fishes very soon

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
The camera always changes the shade a bit and the white background needs to be close to the tube, i would say you are close to 2PPM. If this is for the other thread i responded on for fish in cycle - it is a good positive change - probably another change will get you below 1ppm tomorrow.

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
You should do a water change tomorrow to bring it below 1ppm, it will not hurt the cycle. Everytime you see either the ammonia or nitrite cross 1ppm, do a water change to keep it below the 1ppm mark and dose with prime. Prime does not impact the ammonia & nitrite from cycle perspective but neutralizes them up to 1ppm so it is not harmful for the fish.

You routine should be - check water parameters every other day - if either of the 2 is >1ppm then do a WC and dose prime. Keep doing this until you have both ammonia and nitrite consistently at zero which would indicate your cycle is set. After that you can do once a week water change (depending on your bio load) to keep nitrate in check.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tesla said:
You should do a water change tomorrow to bring it below 1ppm, it will not hurt the cycle. Everytime you see either the ammonia or nitrite cross 1ppm, do a water change to keep it below the 1ppm mark and dose with prime. Prime does not impact the ammonia & nitrite from cycle perspective but neutralizes them up to 1ppm so it is not harmful for the fish.

You routine should be - check water parameters every other day - if either of the 2 is >1ppm then do a WC and dose prime. Keep doing this until you have both ammonia and nitrite consistently at zero which would indicate your cycle is set. After that you can do once a week water change (depending on your bio load) to keep nitrate in check.
I’ve yet to see nitrite though

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Joey Fish said:
I’ve yet to see nitrite though
You will soon First set of bacteria will start converting ammonia to nitrite and then the second of bacteria will convert nitrite to nitrate.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tesla said:
You will soon First set of bacteria will start converting ammonia to nitrite and then the second of bacteria will convert nitrite to nitrate.
Frustrating because I’m on my 13th day of my fish in cycle and yet to see nitrites ):

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Joey Fish said:
Frustrating because I’m on my 13th day of my fish in cycle and yet to see nitrites ):
needs a lot of patience cycles running into 2 months is not unheard of :-|
You can try getting a used filter pad from an established tank, it would have beneficial bacteria on it and will definitely speed up the cycle. You can try getting it from LFS / friend but make sure you get it from a healthy tank so you are not bringing in any sickness. Some folks have tried bottled bacteria, my success rate with that has been low.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a shame that people spend $$$ on Prime and Stability and other unnecessary stuff when they could cycle their tank with a $0.12 goldfish.

But then some people are worried about being extremely cruel to $0.12 goldfish by poisoning them in a tank with ammonia.

I'm sure being eaten alive is much more pleasant for them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom