Help With Finding Equipment

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by AGentJ2468, Jun 27, 2019.

1. AGentJ2468

AGentJ2468New MemberMember

Can you guys put filters and heaters suggestions down below for a 40 gallon tank. 36Lx18Wx16H.
    Is it better to get higher gallon filters than what your tank holds. Like if I got two 50 gallon filters for each side of my 40 gallon tank, would that be a good idea?

2. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

What sort of filters would you prefer, e.g. hang on back, internal or external power filters? What do you mean by 50 gallon filters, is that their output or the tank volume they are recommended for? The generally recommended minimum filter output is 4 times your tank volume per hour, though I prefer to go higher. So look in the range of 160g per hour plus.

3. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

A good set up for that tank would be a Marineland 350 filter or for a little more money the tidal 75.both are hob filters. For a heater the finnex 200w should be fine. This heater has the controls outside the tank. Dry hand if you want to change the temp.

4. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

Do you know if hanging two of those filters you mentioned on each side of the tank would cause better flow in the tank or would it be way to much water disturbance? And many thanks for those good suggestions!

I tend to favor HOB and yes I think I meant what their recommended for(what you see at pet stores and stuff).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
  5. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Properly sizing the filter gets tricky because manufacturers like to make their filters sound more capable than they probably are. For canister filters you'll often see a flow rate listed, but it's almost always the flow with no filter media in the canister and with the filter level with the aquarium. When you put the canister below the tank, add typical media, hoses to reach, etc. and then account for the muck that clogs the media after a couple weeks, the flow will often be half of what is claimed on the box. HOBs are much the same. Rule of thumb is to halve the manufacturer's maximum flow rate and then look for one where that flow is four to five times your tank volume. You want to actually turn over 160 to 200 gallons per hour in your 40 gallon tank, so you'd be looking for a filter with a manufacturer claimed maximum flow of 320 to 400 GPH.

It's probably best to completely ignore the "for tanks up to..." claims by manufacturers because those are almost never realistic. Look for the flow rate and for something big enough to hold the media you need for that tank. You'll almost certainly end up with something the manufacturer claims is good for a tank of over 100 gallons.

6. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

That is really good to know, Thank you for all these tips and tricks to look out for!

Do I need a heater for each side of my tank? srry, kind of a newbie question lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
  7. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

No. If the fish are cold they can huddle around the one heater. :) Seriously, My 55g always had just one heater in one corner of the tank. The water moves enough that the heat quickly equalizes throughout the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

Awesome, that's less stress setting this all up lol

9. 86 ssinit

Either of those hob’s will work fine. If you want more movement get one of these 29F16E0F-8A0C-46B1-9893-348ABCF35F21.png cheap and works great

10. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

That might be a good choice for the shrimp given that they like to sit in front of the flow.

11. 86 ssinit

Oh that filter would blow the shrimp away. What type of shrimp? They also make that in a 250 which is what I use on my 30 and 45. I use that 350 in my 125.

12. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

Ha no way! i'm planning on getting vampire shrimp and bamboo shrimp. Alittle overkill huh? lol