help with final stocking of 55 gallon tall tank -angels eventually

1. timokeef Initiate Member

Our tall 55 gal. tank is fully cycled, up and running two months with temp at 78.6 F. We eventually would like to get two juvenile angelfish. Planted with Bacopa carolina, lace plant, moss ball, dwarf lily plant, amazon swords, banana plant, anubias. Spider wood and rocks. So far we have four cory cats (2 green and 2 paleatus), six cherry barbs, and a pair of Bolivian Rams. In addition to the eventual purchase of angelfish pair could we get another pair BRs? Or is that too much asking for trouble? Other ideas to finish the stocking?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How soft is your substrate? It looks a little rough for cories. If it's not too rough, great!

Paleatus require much cooler temps than angelfish, so I'd rehome them. Is the other cory C. splendens or C. aeneus? Either will work with angels, and you should increase their school to at least 6 (8-10 would be better).

Adding another pair of Bolivians may be too much, but you can add another peaceful cichlid, like a rainbow cichlid.

I'd also increase your cherry barbs to 10-15, and you can add another school of warm water schooling fish too (maybe 8-10 of the cherry barbs and 8-10 of the other species).

3. timokeef Initiate Member

My guess is that it is C. Spendens (it just says "green cory cat"). The substrate is CaribSea Eco-complete. What do you think of that with the cories?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I've heard that Ecocomplete can be rough on the barbels, though some people do it with success. How do you cories look now?

5. timokeef Initiate Member

We have had them 10 days and are active and feeding so I guess they are ok. Do you think we should add cory numbers or get another type of bottom feeder due to the substrate? Also we are now re-thinking the angelfish due to the higher water temp requirement and our other fish seem to like a bit lower temp. We could get another pair (or three?) BRs as I have read they exhibit interesting behavior in small groups. Or another type of compatible Cichlid or Rainbowfish which I like. Advice?

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What do their barbels look like?

The only fish in your tank that aren't compatible with angelfish are the peppered cories, but there are alternatives to angelfish.

I'd leave the BR pair, especially if you want fry. You could add more, or you could branch out and add a few more species. What about something like this?

8x Turquoise rainbowfish (or another species, but not Boesemani due to temp requirements)
    10-12x Cherry barbs
    3-6x Porthole catfish
    1x Rainbowfish
    2x Bolivian rams

7. timokeef Initiate Member

They still have their barbels -and look healthy. thanks for all your help....

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If it's not damaging their barbels, it should be fine then! You can replace the portholes with one species of cory (8-10 individuals). I'd still do the green cories - peppered cories need a lower temp than most tropical fish.