Help Help With Fin Rot

jasonsbettas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I seem to need help managing one of my bettas fin rot.
I have a betta fish named Viv that i’ve had for almost a year. He is in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter.
I just checked the water parameters again for this post and they read
0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm Nitrite
5 ppm Nitrate
I have the API liquid test kit and I just got back from a trip so he has not had his water changed since Thursday (9/12) night.
There used to be an item in the tank that I believe sadly tore his fins a little bit and he used to have gravel in the tank that I got second hand and the paint was bleeding into the water (I did do a substrate change to sand) and from there on he developed fin rot. The edges of his fins turn bright red and they’re quite jagged now. I noticed pretty early and started doing more frequent water changes (I was doing them once a week before and at least 25%, maybe a bit more depending on how the tank was that week though) and I was adding the recommended dose of melafix to his tank. This was helping and his fins were slightly growing back and then I was told how dangerous melafix could be towards bettas. I feel like I made a bad decision personally to stop (as it was helping my fish), but I was more afraid of killing him from the melafix. Furan 2 was then recommended to me from my LFS instead of melafix. That did nothing for him and now the fin rot is worse. I restarted melafix (i’m being precautionary and slightly lowered the dose though this particular betta of mine has always been good with it) but now it is not helping. I’m still doing frequent water changes as well (every other day) but nothing is helping. I also added a couple of indian almond leaves to his tank
I then began suspecting maybe his heater wasn’t doing a good job and i bought him a new heater, and his tank is warmer (I can’t seem to find a good thermometer right now they’re all reading weird so I guess I’ll be investing in better thermometers this week) but I’m at a loss here. If anyone also has any heater recommendations for a 5 gal please let me know I can’t seem to find one that I like.
It’s still early enough that I have time to help him recover so please let me know of any suggestions or let me know what I am doing wrong
Thank you

Manan

Valued Member
Reaction score
How long has he had the fin rot for? If it's only been a few days, I would just keep doing the regular water changes.

I have the Uniclife 25w heater in my 5g and it's been working pretty well so far, was definitely cheap lol

jasonsbettas

Reaction score
How long has he had the fin rot for? If it's only been a few days, I would just keep doing the regular water changes.

I have the Uniclife 25w heater in my 5g and it's been working pretty well so far, was definitely cheap lol
it has been a couple of months at this point i’m afraid I thought I had it under control because his fins were growing back the first time I used melafix and no new red spots were showing up but now it’s back. I don’t think it ever fully went away the first time and stopping the melafix to try furan 2 made it come back worse

jasonsbettas

Reaction score
I still really need help with this situation. The fin rot keeps getting worse. I’ve now been doing daily water changes and it’s getting bad. He has also started to just tip onto his side. He is not bloated at all but he can’t keep upright for long. What is causing this? He is not moving much anymore, just laying on his side at the top of the tank, but he is still eating normally. I suspect this is a problem with his swim bladder but not what I am used to. I do not believe this is from overfeeding or anything as he is not bloated at all. If anyone has any advise please, please help

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom