Help with emergency quarantine tank and Ich treatment

Olivia Janae

So I discovered that I have ich and I’ve had a little bit of a hard time.
I have ich-x coming in the mail. I decided to go that route because my tank has snails, cories, and shrimp. But now I’m wondering if the best thing to do is to get a quarantine tank.
Would a 10 gallon work? I assume just set it up like a second tank?
If so, can the rest of my tank get turned up to 86°? I would have Galaxy Rasbora that are just over the point of being babies, guppies, rummynose tetra, and a dwarf Gourami.

BigManAquatics

Pretty much on the quarantine. Though i prefer to leave it bare bottom. Especially for treating ich. Easier to clean up.

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

What do I do about filling it? I have a sponge I can use from one of my other tanks, but I assume I don’t want to fill the quarantine tank with water from the ich tank (and I assume they both have it). Or does it not matter because I’m putting snails and shrimp in there?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Just regular dechlorinated tapwater. Tank water doesn't give you much BB at all. The sponge filter should be alright.

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

Interestingly, I have more Cory and snails than fish. Would it be smarter to put the fish into the quarantine tank and raise that temp and leave the others in the main tank? The ich will die in there with only cories, shrimp, and snails, right?

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Knowing the lifecycle of Ich I seriously don't get the quarantiing of fish and treat seperayed fish. Could someone explain ?

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

Knowing the lifecycle of Ich I seriously don't get the quarantiing of fish and treat seperayed fish. Could someone explain ?
In this case, I’m just talking about separating the invertebrates that can’t take the heat cycle

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

In this case, I’m just talking about separating the invertebrates that can’t take the heat cycle
Ahhh I get that. But Ich-X says to treat in ea QT-tank. Think it such a weird advise.

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

Where I’m living the ich-x won’t get here for a week so I’m nervous about waiting. Tbh I’m not loving a small tank on the floor but I’m not sure what else to do
So what do you guys think? Can the main tank get over ich with cories, shrimp, and snails and frequent cleaning? Should I put the other fish in the new tank?
I have one school of guppies, one of raspora, one of Rummy noses, and a dwarf vs 3 schools of cories, two groups of shrimp, and 3 different types of snails.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jamd23
Replies
Views
Julesvee
Replies
Views
Vix1987
Replies