Help With Dosing Small Volumes With Prime

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by Bama, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Bama Valued Member Member

So my math skills are rusty and I could use some help.:confused:

According to Seachem's Prime directions, I use 5 mL per 50 gallons.
    That would be 1 mL per 10 gallons, right?
    But I do water changes 2 gallons at a time (5 gallons is just too heavy for me).

How much Prime should I add to 2 gallons? Do I use an eyedropper? If so, how many drops?

Thanks in advance!:)

2. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

@scarface came up with using 2 drops per gallon, and I've been copying that dosage with no issues. I use a little pipette

3. Michael.j.gomez Valued Member Member

Hello, from my understanding & a lot of research its 2 drops per gallon(20 drops = 1ml). I've use this amount w/no problems in 5 tanks. Hope this helps!

4. Bama Valued Member Member

Thanks so much. So I will use 4 drops for 2 gallons! Makes it so much easier! :)

5. JerSpi New Member Member

Eyeball it in the cap. Prime says each thread in the cap is 1 ml.

6. bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Agree with 2 drops per gallon. Seachem makes a 50mL size Prime bottle that all the local Big Als stores have, but it’s at their counter not on the product shelf. That size has a dropper hole built into the lid. Might cost a bit more by volume, but worth it imo.

7. Bama Valued Member Member

Wish I had known about Prime with a built in dropper! I think my big bottle will last a loooong time! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all responses! Much appreciated. Now it’s time for a water change! :)

8. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I use a syringe without a needle to measure my Prime. Lots of Pharmacies will give them to you if you ask. When doing my water changes I fill a 4 gallon bucket with temp matched water and add 1/2ml of prime to each 4 gallons. Probably more than is needed but works for me and my fish. With a syringe you could easily draw up 1/4 of a ml. I haven't checked it out but I would be willing to bet 1/4ml is close to a couple of drops.

Like you 2 gallons is all I can comfortably lift to pour in the tank so I transfer 2 gallons from a 4 gallon bucket twice. Since the 4 gallon bucket is sitting in the sink I don't have to lift it. By the time I have refilled my 55 gallon tank I have filled the 4 gallon bucket 5 times so have added 2 1/2 mls of Prime.

Weekly water changes are getting a bit harder for me to do so one day I might have to consider getting a python type system to do them. :( At that point I would have to add enough Prime to treat the full 55 gallons of water with each water change instead of just the water I am replacing. Hopefully I will be able to stick to buckets for a long time. :)

9. bitseriously Well Known Member Member

5 drops. :)

A simple pond pump and tubing will add onto your existing bucket setup. Advantages over python include no changing faucet nozzle, don’t have to monitor temp running from tap (“no one shower, do laundry, or flush the toilet for the next 20 mins, okay?!?!”), and uses less prime. Not saying pythons doesn’t also have pros, but I’m in camp pump.

10. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

oops, looks like I use more than necessary when using 1/2 ml for 4 gallons but it works for me. :D

I have considered this. Hubby could set something up for me and when it reaches the point of me no longer being able to do it the way I do now I will have him look into a pump type system.

11. ForceTen Valued Member Member

I had the same question. I do water changes with gallon jugs. I only have a 20 gallon tank so its not a big deal.
    2 drops per gallon or is it 1 drop per gallon. I use a medicine dropper.

As far as the Pharmacy giving away needles, you must not live in the US.

12. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

its ok if you use a little too much. you can safely use up to 5X the dosage.

i don't measure, i just give my smaller tanks a splash, and my larger tanks 2 or 3 splashes.

13. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I do live in the US and although I didn't get my needle-less syringe from a pharmacy I can see no reason why one couldn't get one there as long as it is just the syringe. No needle so personally I can see no problem. Maybe that isn't the case for some folks in some places here in the US.

14. ForceTen Valued Member Member

I have syringes because my MIL gave me a few. I just removed the needle before using.
    And medicine droppers are available at most any drug store.
    I have collected an assortment of droppers. I made the mistake of ordering a 5ML dropper. But now I use the drop count for measuring and the dropper is perfect to remove the product from the bottle and easy to drop in the correct amount.

My point was there are no drug stores that would give away product for free. They sell syringes with prescription. I could not see any pharmacy giving away syringes with or without the needle.

Especially now with the fake opioid crisis.

15. scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I appreciate the mention, but I did not come up with it at all. It's actually written in the directions on Seachem's smaller 3.4oz Prime bottle. Regardless, I'm glad to know this sharing of information has helped you and possibly others out. I know computing smaller dosages can be confusing.

16. Bama Valued Member Member

My big tank is 23 gallons so I do 2 gallons x 3 for my partial changes. I think the python system wouldn't work with my faucet and it looks like it would be a big mess. I'm intrigued with the pond pump system. First time I've heard of it. Now I'll have to look it up! :)

17. Bama Valued Member Member

2 drops per gallon. Now to muddy the waters, I used an eye dropper and the drops seemed smaller than a medicine dropper. So I added 3 drops per gallon.
    Probably all drops are the same.:confused:

18. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

And that is why I use a syringe. All drops are not equal :D I really don't think an exact number or size of drops is critical though. I would prefer too much to too little so I am sure you are fine. :)

19. Jellibeen Well Known Member Member

My local pharmacy gave me a syringe when i asked for one. I live in the US.

20. Briggs Well Known Member Member

I kept losing my eye droppers and syringes, so I got a couple of boston round bottles with dropper caps to put my prime in. They're also useful for dosing ferts in my nano planted tanks.