help with diy led lighting

1. bighed Initiate Member

hi im a huge do it yourselfer and i recently seen how a led lighting system looks an im going to build one any tips out there or wiring diagrams parts lists anything of use will help thank you

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi :)
    I moved your thread into the DIY section of the forum.
    You're apt to get more responses here.
    Good luck!

3. Sonfish Member Member

I made a moon light one with 2 blue leds, I used a 5 volt cell phone charger, and the leds were 2.6 volts each wired in series, so it uses 5.2 volts so I didnt need a resistor to limit the over current to each led, they have been running for a couple weeks now, from what I understand if you dont over power say by using a 6 volt charger and then say use 2 leds that required 2 volts each then you have to have a resistor on each led so ya dont smoke them...for lights for say coral reef tanks it is suggested that ya use something like a cree led and them things are around 40 bucks each, do a search for diy leds wiring and see which set up suits ya best...

4. bighed Initiate Member

hey thanx sonfish that should help just a few more questions if i somehow came across a buch of led lights found out the individual voltage added them up do i find a cell charger that size or does it matter i think they only go up to 12 volts so can i over load it? and does whatever i decide to build have to be water tight? or a certan distance from the top of my tank(s)

5. Sonfish Member Member

the ones I made I hyst put some heat shrink over the led leads and sealed them like that just because like you mentioned they are installed in a wet environment, I tried to over load the charger by using 3 leds at 2.6 volts each and they just wouldnt light, Im sure there is some kind of percentage of voltage output of the charger that is over what the actual ratings, not sure how to figure it, I did do some testing and used alligator clips so I woulndt be desoldering and resoldering trying to figure it out,and didnt get any shock from the 5 volt charger, not to say ya wont get shocked by a larger one, and most of the chargers convert from ac house hold voltage to dc voltage.. about like say a flashlight battery
    Mine have been on continually since I put them together and so far the charger hasnt gotten hot or even warm for that matter, I will leave them on just to see how long they last, sorta doing my own trials here..
    My next set of lights I am going to build is gonna be with a 12 volt charger and some red leds I got off of feebay for something like 6 cents a piece, I am using red because thats the color spectrum most animals and fish dont see very well if at all and I can light my tank at night and throw a red glow in the room.
    The ones for that I think are 1.3 volts so I can use a 12 volt charger. Mine are also mounted just inside the top support on the tank and I used a small dab of aqaurium sealant to hold them in place, maybe an inch above the water line....
    Not sure what kind of lighting your shooting for as far as say growing plants or for reef aqaurium, so ya may need to look into the lighting and what your plants animals need for light requirements, I just did the moonlight because here they are like 20 bucks at the LFS and me being me just thought heck I can make me some of those, some of the leds come with a focused lens and if I remember right they only go up to 21 or 25 degree beam, the blue ones I used were 10mm diffused and I kinda angled them across the surface of the water and they work like a champ...all the store bought ones I have seen had a focused beam and most are mounted shootin straight down and kinda look like stage lights to me, I didnt think that looked much like moon llight, shooting it across the surface made a kinda ripply affect throughout the bottom of the aqaurium...