Help with DIY 29 Gallon Aquarium Stand

StickyRice

Does anyone have any experience building DIY aquarium stands? I found a model I like but the problem is that the dimensions are for a 40 gallon and I've tried translating them for a 29 gallon as best as I can. This is what I got:
31" - 4 (Lenth)
30" - 4 (Height)
10" - 5 (Width)
23" - 8 (Height)
Do these seem about right. This is my first time building anything and I want to make sure that I get the dimensions right the first time because I'm going to have them cut at Home Depot. If there are any other models for a 29 gallon with 2x4s, please let me know. I'm also going to be using #9x2 1/2 inch screws for the project. Don't know if this is the right size or not.
The video where I got the stand is here:

jtjgg

length and width of most 29g is 30.25 x 12.5

the 31" length is good.

2x4 is usually 1.5 x 3.5, so for the width, 10" is good.

height is personal prefence how high you want the tank to be. 30" is pretty low, but subtract 7" from overall height for the inner vertical beams.

StickyRice

length and width of most 29g is 30.25 x 12.5

the 31" length is good.

2x4 is usually 1.5 x 3.5, so for the width, 10" is good.

height is personal prefence how high you want the tank to be. 30" is pretty low, but subtract 7" from overall height for the inner vertical beams.
Which one should I subtract 7" from? The 30" or the 23". Also, I can raise the height to 34" would that be good? If I raise it to 34" would 27" for the outer support beam be good?

jtjgg

Which one should I subtract 7" from? The 30" or the 23". Also, I can raise the height to 34" would that be good? If I raise it to 34" would 27" for the outer support beam be good?
correct,

for the 30" subtract 7" = 23" so you're good there.

if you want it taller like 34" subtract 7" = 27"

StickyRice

correct,

for the 30" subtract 7" = 23" so you're good there.

if you want it taller like 34" subtract 7" = 27"
From your previous post you said subtract 7" from the inner vertical beams. Do you mean the outer vertical beams? There's going to be two for each leg of the stand and they're going to be wedged in between the top and bottom rectangles of the stand. Also, can I ask why it's 7". The video just said 7" but I wanted to know why.

jtjgg

subtract 7" from overall height for the inner vertical beams.

there are 4 vertical beams that go from the very bottom to the very top. the 8 inside vertical beams that fit in between the horizontal beams will be 7" shorter than the 4 full length vertical beams.

2x4 is usually 1.5 x 3.5
the top horizontal beam is 3.5" and the bottom horizontal beam is 3.5" so that equals 7" of the total height. so subtract 7" from the total height and you have the correct height for the beams to fit in between the horizontal beams.

here's a visual, whatever overall height you want it, subtract 7". for instance if you were to build it 36" tall, the 8 shorter vertical beams would be 29" tall.

Attachments

• 20210918_155916.jpg
    20210918_155916.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 6

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Donthemon
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies