Help With Cycling

1. Alphafish98

Alphafish98 Valued Member Member

Hello (new here), I got a new 75 gallon tank a couple of weeks ago and had trouble getting the cycle to really start, I tried going to a pet store around my area and they gave me a sponge filter and it’s slowly working but my question is that it’s only the ammonia that is starting to rise up while the nitrites and nitrates have been at 0 this whole time, am I doing something right or wrong ? Am I okay ? Can someone please help me and give me some suggestions and help please, I don’t want to mess up anything for this tank and I want to know when i can start putting fish and I’ve had this tank since mid April.

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

What is your ammonia at? Have you been doing water changes?

3. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

I’ve been using text strips and they were at the harmful level, and no I thought you weren’t supposed to do that till cycling was done. Was that wrong ? :(

4. toran

toran Valued Member Member

Hello and congrats on your new tank.

It sounds like you need to learn about the nitrogen cycle. I am sorry I don't have any links but do some research on it. Extremely simple, ammonia is needed so one bacteria can grow and eats the ammonia (toxic), which gives off nitrites (toxic) and another bacteria grow that give off nitrates (less toxic and lessened by water changes). This is called Beneficial Bacteria (BB). This process can take 1-3 months.

I would suggest a fishless cycle, it is faster and less water changes, or try to get some cycled media from another tank to add to yours and then you can add fish.

What have you been using as an ammonia source so far?

5. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

I already know about the nitrogen cycle, I simply want my question answered that’s all.
    I’ve been using fish flakes daily not a lot just a lil bit. It took awhile for the ammonia to grow. I am asking why isn’t the nitrites and nirates rising ? That’s all and I don’t have any media to put in it. And do I have do water changes at all when it’s cycyling or no? If so how much ? And when? Please answer someone.

6. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Everything seems ok. You will first get ammonia then ammonia will get lower and you will get nitrites then your nitrites will get lower and you will get nitrates. It doesn't all come at once. Be patient this process takes time. Mid April to now is only one month could take much longer. You could try adding a little more flake food to help it along a bit more. If you don't have fish or invertebrates in your tank dont do any water changes until the cycle is complete and you are ready to add fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Okay thank you so much for that, I was just concerned that I was doing something wrong, will this take another month? Because I asked help from people from my local pet store and they gave me a used sponge filter they said it take a week or so for it to work. So I was just wondering if I’m doing okay with this.

8. d

Most people at local pet stores dont really know what they are talking about. It could possibly take another month, will it? I couldn't tell you for sure, every tank is different. I would recommend to continue doing what you are doing and if you want add just a bit more food every time you put some in to increase the ammonia a little bit. This may help, it may not. I have honestly only had to cycle 1 tank and every time I upgrade or buy another tank I use everything from the old tank to keep the BB. But for the filter the lfs gave you, was it wet when you got it or was it dry?

9. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

It was wet, and I didn’t pour they’re water in mine, i already know you don’t do that.

10. d

Ok so there is a good chance that will help as well. If it came from an established tank it will have BB on it. The only question is was the tank it came from established? There is really no way of knowing for sure. All you can do is hope they are honest and know what they are doing. But it sounds like you are on the right track. The hardest part of this hobby is playing the waiting game.

11. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

I know, I didn’t get to see where they got but they told me they did get it from a tank that is established, I take they’re word because it’s a really good pet store and they do an amazing job with the fish there and other pets so I’m hoping the filter will do okay and help out because I’ve been trying to get that good bacteria to grow, I’ve even raised the temperature to help it out. And I’m willing to wait, I just hope I’m doing everything okay and not messing it up. And thanks so much for your help thank you very much. I hope i see better results soon and that it fully cycles too.

12. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

What's your pH and temp? This is fishless right?

13. d

It will get there. Just don't forget to keep adding the food because the BB will die if there is no ammonia.

14. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Yea fishless I don’t like putting fish in there to suffer, i put the temp for 84 and I just tested today, ph was like at neutral so 7.2