Help With Cycling. Safe Start Failed?

1. R

Rebecca Taylor New Member Member

I have had my tank set up now for 9 days since adding safe start. I tested the water after 7 days and readings were 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate.

I have had a couple of fish die so I decided to retest the water this morning and the same again 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I have now done a 50% water change in case there is some disease floating around the tank.

What is the best way now to get the tank to cycle?

I am using seachem prime as my conditioner .
    Thanks

2. A

Amaresh Valued Member Member

What is the Ammonia source? Any food item anything?

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the SafeStart failed. The reason I say that is that after being in the tank for 9 days, your fish must have been releasing ammonia into the water. But since you are reading 0ppm for ammonia, one of two things may have occured. Either your test results are suspect, or the ammonia was converted into nitrite.

Then since you are testing 0ppm for nitrite, again either your test results are suspect or all nitrite has been converted into nitrates. Now you may be saying, "yeah, but my nitrate reading is still 0ppm". This can be caused by two things. Once again suspect test results or your bioload is so low that there is just not enough resultant nitrate to appear on the test, since generally nitrates on the tests start at 5ppm (whereas ammoinia and nitrite start at .25ppm).

What test kit are you using? If using the API liquid test kit, be sure to really shake and pound nitrate reagent bottle #2. It has crystals suspended in liquid and the crystal tend to clump together in the bottom of the bottle. If not "resuspended" properly, you will get a faulty test result.

4. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I am using the api liquid test kit. I am shaking the bottle and following all instructions correctly. Perhaps it is the fact I have a small bio load. My partner had just I formed me he got a 0.25ppm for ammonia yesterday so it's obviously going somewhere!

180L tank
    5 WCMM
    3 Corys
    2 BN plecos both still tiny around an inch or less
    4 guppy
    An unknown amount of guppy fry! I counted 4 at one time, may be more or less

I lost one guppy and one Cory. From my limited knowledge the Cory appeared as if it had a problem with its swim bladder. No signs of any illness or injury to the guppy.

Going to start testing the water daily and see what happens.

5. C

Cory & the Catz Valued Member Member

If you used prime within 24 hours before/after dosing the quickstart it may have countered it partially, all i know is the only thing that can be used within 24 hours of prime is stability. However it sounds like you are getting a cycle going slowly but surely. I'm over a month in and not cycled yet, sometimes it is stubborn, good luck.

6. OP
    OP
    R

I had left it almost 48 hours so that shouldn't have been a problem. Thanks you too.