Help with cycling old tank and new

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Andy N kat, Jun 24, 2016.

1. A

Andy N kat New Member Member

I have had fish for years , never bothered to test water, recently got a few larger tanks , and been reading about the importance of testing , so bright a test kit, in my 40 gallon the ammonia was zero but nitrates and tries was supper high max level, I did water change cleaned out the filters and added jungle to the mix , when I clean my tank and do as I have down with my fish in there , am I starting a new cycle? The fish has been I there for years with no issues , 2 questions I guess been trying to read as.much as I can on cycling , what do I do now with the fish in the tank and getting my levels to optimal area , and for my bigger new tanks , how should I start the cycle , 125 gallon and 180 gallon , one will be fresh not sure which just yet , other fresh , thanks for help ,love the site

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Since there's a load of nitrates I'd say it could be cycled but either overstocked, giving off more nitrite than can be handled, or it could just not be cycled.

Do you plan to cycle the tanks with or without fish?

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you test the 40g and provide the current numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and also test for those numbers from your water source?

And what fish do you have? It's good you don't have any ammonia but the presence of high nitrites still indicate an uncycled tank for which daily water changes with a bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability will help cycle it faster. What's the jungle additive that you used? Is it a conditioner? And how do you rinse your filter media?

As for your other tanks, do you know about when you will be setting them up? Are you planning a fish-in or fishless cycle? If you're not in a hurry and you still are undecided about how to stock, you could wait til your 40g is cycled and established for at least a month and take some extra seeded media and help jump start those newer tanks. I'd put in some extra media now or an additional filter to start the process.

4. OP
    OP
    A

Andy N kat New Member Member

With

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice