Help With Cycling After House Move! Help

1. Novicefishkeeper Initiate Member

Hi... I moved house two weeks ago and moved two fish tanks when I did. One has held on to its cycle and is doing really well and the other one I'm struggling with! I kept all the filter media and decorations etc and moved them across but shortly after the move fish started to die and I realised it had gone into a cycle and now I don't know how to make sure it cycles as quickly as possible for the fish that remain in there. I have been doing 30% water changes every other day and the nitrates and nitrites are reducing but the ammonia doesn't seem to be?!

The tank is a jewel trigon 190l with an APF 1000EF filter and currently there are 8 rosy tetra and 1 lonely otocinclus in there. I have added aqua pure balls to the filter to try and kick start it but not sure it's helping!

Today my readings are:
    Ammonia 0.5
    Nitrite 0.25
    Nitrate 20

With the API test kit and that's after a 30% change.

Please help me!

Tam

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Your other tank is cycled so take some of the filter media from it and put it into the trigon 190 filter. This should kick start the cycle and speed it up a bit. Dose prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite.

3. popsikle Initiate Member

Do you know what the ph / kh / gh readings are from old location and new location?

4. Novicefishkeeper Initiate Member

I will add some media from the other tank thank you! The other tank is my daughters tank... if I take the media out of that and replace it with new will that make it cycle? I normally put new media in and leave both in for a week before taking the old out?! Because of the filter she has I can't take part of what's in there out? I am not sure on the ph etc readings from old location but I can test what they are now when I get home. I would have thought they would be similar as I only moved 10 mins down the road!

5. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Do not take all the media out of your daughter's tank and replac it with new media or you will lose the cycle in your daughter's tank.

Here's what I would do
    1. Take out about 1/3 of the filter media from your daughter's tank and replace it with new media
    2. Put the old media from the other tank into the juwel tank
    3. Dose prime to detoxify ammonia and nitrite

It looks like you are not far off being cycled anyway since you have some nitrites and nitrates.

6. Novicefishkeeper Initiate Member

thank you very much for your help Any ideas how long it should take to finish cycling?