Help with Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoshi

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been cycling my tank (26 gal) since the beginning of March. We have 5 tetra, 3 gourami, and 2 platys.

Yesterday, I had 0 ammonia, .50 nitrite, and between 0 and 5 nitrate. Today, I have absolutely 0 of everything. What is going on?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? How often do you feed your fish?

Please fill out your aquarium information on your profile page. It will help others help you understand what is going on.

If you're tired of waiting, I'd pick up a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and add it to the water. Should get you cycled in 10-14 days.

OP
H

Hoshi

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 26 gallon tank, 3 gourami, 5 tetra and 1 platy. THe tank houses 2 monkey grass plants.

I feed my fish twice a day. 1 pinch in the morning, and 1 pinch and algae tablet at night.

I use API Stress Coat+ to dechlorinate the water. We do have chlorine and ammonia in our water which is why we use the AP Stress Coat+.

*updated Tank Stats in profile.

Last edited:

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You might try using a chemical that detoxifies ammonia like Prime or AmQuel+. I haven't used API Stress Coat, but it could be effecting your cycle from completing. I've read that Stress Coat removes chlorine but breaks down chloramines leaving the ammonia ions in the tank. That would suggest why you are getting a large reading of ammonia.

Perhaps someone with experience with StressCoat will come along and explain that a little better.

Edit: The more I read about Stress Coat, the more it seems that chemical is what's causing your ammonia problems. I would definitely go get some Prime or AmQuel and start doing daily water changes to began detoxify the ammonia.

Water Conditioner Reviews

Last edited:
OP
H

Hoshi

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can one get Seachem's prime at Petsmart? That is the only place I know of around me. I haven't lived in San Jose for very long.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It keeps your current fish safer while you cycle. It will not speed up your cycle. And I recommend that you wait until your tank is cycled AT LEAST 2 weeks before adding more fish. You want to give the bacteria colony time to establish well.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It should detoxify the ammonia, but I would keep an eye on your water parameters for two weeks just to make sure it gets cycled. Eventually you should get a small reading of nitrAtes, less than 20. Then you should be cycled.

Keep up with those daily water changes and I would probably only feed your fish once a day from now on. With flake food, break it up real fine and only feed enough that the fish can eat all of it within a minute or so. You don't want rotting food in your tank right now. Especially, algae wafers.

:;nin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom