Help with cories twitching!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Sayago, Jan 6, 2013.

1. SayagoNew MemberMember

Hi everyone, I have three cories in a 10 gallon tank and they "twitch" sometimes. It is difficult to explain, but they are swimming, then they do a half roll (that means they turn to their side) and scratch or hit themselves against the bottom, and that happens really fast. I already examined them and they do not seem to suffer from ick, ich?, and they eat normally. What can it be?
    Thank you!

2. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

What kind of cories are they? Most shouldn't be kept in a 10 gallon as they just get too big.

What are your water parameters? When did you get the cories?

3. PJPJNew MemberMember

The substrate needs cleaning and the filter is probably due a clean.

Because cory's live on the substrate they show signs of distress/ irritation earlier than free swimming species, It may be you are overstocked or that the filter is not of sufficient size. We would need loads more information to give you a better response but I'm fairly sure a good cleanup will make the Corys happy again.

4. OP
    OP
    S

SayagoNew MemberMember

Thank you for answering! I have three aeneus, one of them is a baby. I only have an ammonia test kit, and it says it in between .5 and zero, so im guessing it is at .3? I got the cories in August.

5. OP
    OP
    S

SayagoNew MemberMember

Ok, I will clean the tank today, thank you!

6. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I've seen mine do that before, but I don't worry about it. Unless you see signs of an illness, they're probably just trying to rid themselves of an irritant.

Is your tank cycled?

7. OP
    OP
    S

SayagoNew MemberMember

Then I will not worry, thank you all! and btw, yes is cycled, it has been running since august.

8. Gordinian

If a tank has any ammonia, then the tank isn't cycled. Do a water change today, and at least every other day until you have zero ammonia. I'd also get nitrite and nitrate test kits so you know for sure your tank is cycled.

Edit: also, the type of Cory you have gets too big for a 10 gallon. I'd recommend upgrading your tank or rehoming the cories.

9. OP
    OP
    S

SayagoNew MemberMember

Yes, I will rehome them when they grow. I just noticed another thing, my smallest cory has two white spots at both side of his head, but they are aligned. Is it his/her bone that is showing??!

10. Gordinian

Could you post a picture?

11. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Just because you have ammonia doesn't mean your tank is not cycle, that's also a symptom of overstocking and improper tank maintenance. Only 1 of your Cory's should be kept in no less than 15 gallons, and you have 3 in a 10gal... you should always house fish in a tank that is big enough to accommodate their adult size, as you could stunt their growth and deform them by keeping them in a smaller tank than what is needed. Fish grow faster than you think.

Vacuum the substrate, but do not clean your filter until you notice impeded performance, and when you must clean it, do it gently in a bucket of dirty tank water, be careful not to rinse it too thoroughly, if you get all of the "gunk" off (which is your Beneficial Bacteria), you will trigger another tank cycle... Never "change" your filter media until it's falling apart, which could take months and months and months... and when you do, you will have to leave the old filter media in the filter, along with the new media for about a month to seed the new media.

12. Butterbean

ButterbeanValued MemberMember

It sounds like your corys are flashing to me. They can have Ich and not show the salt like spots sometimes it just shows as red irritated gills and sometimes because of there coloring the tiny salt like spots are hard to see. You can always do a good vacuum cleaning, water change and raise your temp just to make sure. Just don't add salt because that will irritate them.

13. OP
    OP
    S

SayagoNew MemberMember

Ok i will try to rehome the cories, but i'll first clean the tank.

14. Gordinian

You should definitely make sure there's nothing wrong with them before rehoming. You wouldn't want to rehome a sick fish.

15. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

i agree it sounds like flashing. Corries like fine substrate because i believe(not positive) they are scaleless and even regular gravel will bother them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice