Help With Cories For A 55

1. Marco Rodriguez Member Member

Hi. I have a 55. Just made some room for some fish I have a rainbow shark soon to b 4 Blue Rams 1 BN and 5 Long Fin Zebra Danios. Any suggestions on a Cory to get. I've been using aquadvisor to stock. And yes Ik all temps don't match. I'm working on moving the Danios
  2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Do you plan to keep the temperature at around 80f for the rams or around 74f for the BN and shark? If you keep them at 80f you could have albino/bronze cories. If you keep them around 74f you could have panda cories, pygmy cories or three lined cories.

The shark may be aggressive toward cories

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

If you want cories remove the shark first or you willn't see your cories ever again. I learned that the hard way. So, please remove the shark before you get any cories. Also you have different temp compatible fish. We can deal with that after the shark problem.
  4. sylviepld Member Member

I have three lined cories in my 45 gallon and they are a good size. They don't get as big as the bronze cories. That way you could get more as they like to be in groups. I wouldn't worry about the danios. I have danios in a tank that is 78 degrees with the cories and they are doing fine. I also have an Angel that they say needs to be in the 80's but I have had mine for 3 years and he is thriving. A few degrees difference in what the 'textbooks' say shouldn't make that much of a differences. As long as you acclimate them properly and slowly they will adapt.

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with BottomDweller. Another cory species you could have are sterbais but you would need to remove the shark and BN (and the danios).

Keeping fish out of their temp range year-round will be detrimental to their health.
  6. Marco Rodriguez Member Member

Well sadly I have no where else to put the shark. So I guess no Cories it is then. Thanks everyone. If anyone thinks of a different good schooling fish that would be great thanks :)
  7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You can get the bronze corys or a different species (just not sterbais) as they have a wider temp range but that means blue rams are out of the picture.

The danios can stay as well. Were you looking to add another schooling species?

8. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

My cories and sharks have no problem together
  9. Marco Rodriguez Member Member

My goal is to keep everything (except the Danios) in this tank because it's already set up. Danios are being moved out soon. And then to add a schooling fish yes
  10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You can have two schooling fish species - what about lemon tetras and cherry barbs for more color?

11. Marco Rodriguez Member Member

Aquadvidor said Shark was too aggressive with the Barbs. I'll look into the Tetras.. thanks :)
  12. ChiefBrody Member Member

Sterbais can tolerate the higher temps but should be kept in a group of at least 6 for healthy behavior