Help With Controlling Algae??

Kyler Nielsen

Reaction score
My 20 gallon tank, which I've had set up for several months now, has within the past month or two started getting greener. I even did a 100% water change and within 3 days, the water went from clear to cloudy and green. All my fish seem to be fine, but it makes it harder to enjoy my tank when the water is not up to my standards. Any advice or help?

(Stocking is 4 platies and a corydoras. Plants are anubias and java ferns, and there is a large piece of driftwood in the tank. Filter is a 20-30 HOB with a sponge, floss, and ammonia remover.)

tetratetris

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is it by the window? How long do you leave the lights on? (You don't want it near the window and leave the lights one for only 8-10 hours a day)

OP
K

Kyler Nielsen

Reaction score
tetratetris said:
Is it by the window? How long do you leave the lights on? (You don't want it near the window and leave the lights one for only 8-10 hours a day)
It is not by a window, and I usually leave the lights on no more than 6 hours (when it first showed up, I even tried only having the lights on for a couple hours a day for a week, to no avail.)

KeegansTropiks

Reaction score
Kyler Nielsen said:
My 20 gallon tank, which I've had set up for several months now, has within the past month or two started getting greener. I even did a 100% water change and within 3 days, the water went from clear to cloudy and green. All my fish seem to be fine, but it makes it harder to enjoy my tank when the water is not up to my standards. Any advice or help?

(Stocking is 4 platies and a corydoras. Plants are anubias and java ferns, and there is a large piece of driftwood in the tank. Filter is a 20-30 HOB with a sponge, floss, and ammonia remover.)
Algae could be caused by too much exposure to sun or lighting so check the amount of time the tank is exposed to light.
In my old tank with algae problems I just introduced some snails and the problem went away as they would eat the algae.
If nothing works an alternative could be a UV steriliser which kills off algae including any other harmful bacteria.

OP
K

Kyler Nielsen

Reaction score
KeegansTropiks said:
Algae could be caused by too much exposure to sun or lighting so check the amount of time the tank is exposed to light.
In my old tank with algae problems I just introduced some snails and the problem went away as they would eat the algae.
If nothing works an alternative could be a UV steriliser which kills off algae including any other harmful bacteria.
I forgot to mention lighting changes haven't worked to get rid of the algae. And will snails help with algae in the water column, or just on objects? Because my glass is pretty clear, it's the water that has algae in it. Thanks

tetratetris

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kyler Nielsen said:
It is not by a window, and I usually leave the lights on no more than 6 hours (when it first showed up, I even tried only having the lights on for a couple hours a day for a week, to no avail.)
I would get some snails/shrimp (Cleanup crew sorta thing) to help clean up algae as KeegansTropiks had said

Kyler Nielsen said:
I forgot to mention lighting changes haven't worked to get rid of the algae. And will snails help with algae in the water column, or just on objects? Because my glass is pretty clear, it's the water that has algae in it. Thanks
Have you changed your filter media yet?

OP
K

Kyler Nielsen

Reaction score
tetratetris said:
Have you changed your filter media yet?
I rinse it out thoroughly with tank water atleast once a month, and put in new floss with every water change

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's just the water that is green you can get a clarifier that will basically clump up all the green stuff and it eventually drops to the substrate. That might be the easiest way of getting rid of the green water.

Getting snails will work with cleaning the algae on the decor and windows but it also poops a lot, so what comes in through the mouth will come out the other end at the butt, which pollutes the water.

So if it's on the glass and decor, clean it.

KeegansTropiks

Reaction score
Kyler Nielsen said:
Lightning changes have not worked? Have you tried a black out?
Which is wrapping the tank so that no light penetrates which starves the algae of light killing it off. (Still assure oxygen can flow).
Nope snails usually eat algae stuck to surfaces so that would not do much.
Make sure your filter has a fine layer of filters pad or foam as the course sponge doesn’t pick up much.
Reduce feeding and clean up any debris in the water as well as that can cause algae.
Their are some products that remove algae on the market as well.
Hope this helps.

OP
K

Kyler Nielsen

Reaction score
Fashooga said:
If it's just the water that is green you can get a clarifier that will basically clump up all the green stuff and it eventually drops to the substrate. That might be the easiest way of getting rid of the green water.

Getting snails will work with cleaning the algae on the decor and windows but it also poops a lot, so what comes in through the mouth will come out the other end at the butt, which pollutes the water.

So if it's on the glass and decor, clean it.
I may try a clarifier then because my glass and driftwood is pretty clean. I was apprehensive to using chemical treatment but clarifiers seem to be the safest bet if I do. I have one snail but I'll try adding more as per your advice. Thanks

KeegansTropiks said:
Lightning changes have not worked? Have you tried a black out?
Which is wrapping the tank so that no light penetrates which starves the algae of light killing it off. (Still assure oxygen can flow).
Nope snails usually eat algae stuck to surfaces so that would not do much.
Make sure your filter has a fine layer of filters pad or foam as the course sponge doesn’t pick up much.
Reduce feeding and clean up any debris in the water as well as that can cause algae.
Their are some products that remove algae on the market as well.
Hope this helps.
I use ample amounts of floss in my filter which I change more often than other media. And I didnt wrap my tank but I left all its lights off for 3 days straight to no avail. I may try another blackout, water change, and maybe some chemical treatment but I was apprehensive to the use of chemicals to treat it. Thanks for the advice.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kyler Nielsen said:
I may try a clarifier then because my glass and driftwood is pretty clean. I was apprehensive to using chemical treatment but clarifiers seem to be the safest bet if I do. I have one snail but I'll try adding more as per your advice. Thanks
I wouldn't get another snail. If it's doing the job of cleaning the tank then I wouldn't worry about getting another one, just the clarifier.

OP
K

Kyler Nielsen

Reaction score
Fashooga said:
I wouldn't get another snail. If it's doing the job of cleaning the tank then I wouldn't worry about getting another one, just the clarifier.
Sounds good. Thanks for the help

New Threads