Help with cloudy water please

Kurtcordog

I’ve had my tank since about March and It’s always had white cloudy water problems. I had a betta in there (it wasn’t this bad when he was around) but he died a month ago sadly. Ever since (yes I removed the fish) the tank has been particularly bad, everyone online always says to wait it out or add beneficial bacteria but nothing has worked. I’ve even tried using seachem conditioner and API Accu Clear but nothing works. Please help me fix this so I can bring home another pet.

Attachments

• A158CC71-48D5-49BB-84AF-772065C0876B.jpeg
    A158CC71-48D5-49BB-84AF-772065C0876B.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 807F2D94-65DB-413E-9D50-4B57073F7BF5.jpeg
    807F2D94-65DB-413E-9D50-4B57073F7BF5.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 18B151B3-DF85-4E14-A883-A858F48786B0.jpeg
    18B151B3-DF85-4E14-A883-A858F48786B0.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 12

StarGirl

Is there anything in there at all?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Maybe get some snails to add ammonia or dose it with some ammonia? Your cycle may have went kaput with nothing in there.

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

Maybe get some snails to add ammonia or dose it with some ammonia? Your cycle may have went kaput with nothing in there.
Shoot, I completely forgot hahah there is a blue mystery snail in there, and he does a fine job of pooping around and adding amonia
What happens if I do a 100% water change

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Probably not much with just a snail in there. Maybe try 75%. What are your readings?

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

Probably not much with just a snail in there. Maybe try 75%. What are your readings?
Here they are

Attachments

• F2ECC636-9959-4A87-A498-EB2F7CF70A06.jpeg
    F2ECC636-9959-4A87-A498-EB2F7CF70A06.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

StarGirl

Well those look good to me. What is the High pH reading? The low looks topped out.

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

Well those look good to me. What is the High pH reading? The low looks topped out.
Here’s the reading before water change

and now after

Attachments

• BE2193C7-5C37-4358-965E-3457E4EE1F35.jpeg
    BE2193C7-5C37-4358-965E-3457E4EE1F35.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 72D380E3-4BC7-4E93-9CAA-854F189BF1CC.jpeg
    72D380E3-4BC7-4E93-9CAA-854F189BF1CC.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

StarGirl

The 1st looks 8.2 for sure, its not purple. The second looks 7.8 8.0 ish. I would just use that test from now on.
How much water did you change?

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

The 1st looks 8.2 for sure, its not purple. The second looks 7.8 8.0 ish. I would just use that test from now on.

Probably %75, the tank is much more clear atm, but it usually is after a wc, I’ll wait and see if it clouds up like it usually does

Attachments

• EAB719D1-0601-4FCC-9938-DEBF0A153F81.jpeg
    EAB719D1-0601-4FCC-9938-DEBF0A153F81.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

StarGirl

I was just reading on another site that changing the water is more than likely causing the problem. It is supplying the bacteria more nutrients so it actually can seem worse after a water change. It said to let nature take its course and it will die off. Just "let it be"

Your other numbers look good, get a fish. Keep an eye on ammonia and Nitrites. You just may not be able to see it for a bit....:rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity what pH is your tap water?

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

Probably %75, the tank is much more clear atm, but it usually is after a wc, I’ll wait and see if it clouds up like it usually does
I was just reading on another site that changing the water is more than likely causing the problem. It is supplying the bacteria more nutrients so it actually can seem worse after a water change. It said to let nature take its course and it will die off. Just "let it be"

Your other numbers look good, get a fish. Keep an eye on ammonia and Nitrites. You just may not be able to see it for a bit....:rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity what pH is your tap water?

Here’s my tap water test, both bottles have tap water

I’ve also heard the let it be thing but I’ve tried that and I’ve gone weeks w/o doing anything to it and nothings changed

I’ve even tried accu clear and that didn’t really help, as of rn, it hasn’t clouded up again since the water change

Attachments

• A41F6A32-A236-47CB-8A7B-2B64A7D03449.jpeg
    A41F6A32-A236-47CB-8A7B-2B64A7D03449.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

StarGirl

Looks about 7.8 to me. You get higher in tank like I do. My tap is 7.6 and rises to 8.2. Good old Michigan liquid rock. I just live with it. You can dilute it with drinking water but I dont bother. The lfs have the same thing I do.

Dennis57 any ideas since the set it and forget it doesnt work either?

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Bacteria Bloom (cloudy water) will occur 2 to 4 days after fish are added to the tank. The cloudiness, caused by initial bacteria growth, is not harmful to tank inhabitants, and will clear on its own. Have patience!
I do have a question, you said you had a betta fish in there, when he was in there do you think you maybe overfed him? Have you vacuumed out the gravel? When the Betta died did you take the tank down and clean everything?
The parameters all look good. I would also suggest adding some snails and or another betta

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Bacteria Bloom (cloudy water) will occur 2 to 4 days after fish are added to the tank. The cloudiness, caused by initial bacteria growth, is not harmful to tank inhabitants, and will clear on its own. Have patience!
I do have a question, you said you had a betta fish in there, when he was in there do you think you maybe overfed him? Have you vacuumed out the gravel? When the Betta died did you take the tank down and clean everything?
Been up since March always had a problem the whole time. Only a Mystery snail right now.

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

it’s possible, but I only really fed him was a single flake a day, but I believed he died from swim bladder disease which I know can be caused by over feeding

I just did a gravel vac, but only the surface, it’s my understanding to leave some gravel untouched for the roots

when the betta died I scooped him out and that was it, I’ve tried removing the wood piece you see in the picture to clean it before but the plant’s roots go through the wood and are all tangled in the gravel and would uproot nearby plants so I gave that up

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Have you cleaned the filter?
How long is the light on for?

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

Have you cleaned the filter?
How long is the light on for?
I’m kinda sure I cleaned the filter but I’ll do it again rn

Light is on for ~13 hrs a day

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Turn the light down to like 6-7 hours a day and see if that does anything? Im grasping....It is so strange.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Same here StarGirl. Yes drop light down to like 6-7 hours the most right now. I would even say 4-5 for like a week and see if that helps.

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

Same here StarGirl. Yes drop light down to like 6-7 hours the most right now. I would even say 4-5 for like a week and see if that helps.
Ok I’ll do that, the main reason I’m suddenly in need of another tank is my black velvet Molly j had babies in my 5 gal tank so I need to put these babies somehwere until they’re large enough to take to the store
Turn the light down to like 6-7 hours a day and see if that does anything? Im grasping....It is so strange.
Ok

I cleaned the filter sponge, the white bacteria spore things, and replaced the activated carbon, with old tank water of course, then added a lil more bottled beneficial bacteria
I also took out some filter media I had put in the tube to lower the flow for the betta, water is really kicking rn, it kinda seems like it’s getting a lil cloudy again as it usually does after a WC, but I’ll check back in the AM

Attachments

• 2A624A62-B5B3-4532-A5FB-32EC9AB2B485.jpeg
    2A624A62-B5B3-4532-A5FB-32EC9AB2B485.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 8AEB77CC-0CFD-46B5-8593-DF5BA5649EB5.jpeg
    8AEB77CC-0CFD-46B5-8593-DF5BA5649EB5.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

So waking up now and it’s def gotten a lil more cloudy than before, see before and after pic, but not as cloudy as it was before the big WC, any ideas what to do now?

Attachments

• 3700C3AA-0AAB-49CB-B9EA-109254FBC8AF.jpeg
    3700C3AA-0AAB-49CB-B9EA-109254FBC8AF.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 0F21908F-DC31-461C-B7DB-762D8BC8D460.jpeg
    0F21908F-DC31-461C-B7DB-762D8BC8D460.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0

WateryDreams

So waking up now and it’s def gotten a lil more cloudy than before, see before and after pic, but not as cloudy as it was before the big WC, any ideas what to do now?
Wow this is strange... I just have 2 questions.

1.) What is the temp of your tank water, and what is the temp in the room the tank is in?

2.) Have you tried filling a 5-10 G bucket from the tap for your water change, but let it sit out for 24-28 hours?

If this isn't some kind of weird bacterial bloom from outter space, I'm wondering if temp differences and water gases/minerals might be the cause. I see you're in Tampa? I have some friends down there, I can check with them but it MIGHT be an abundance of limestone particles.

So when you do a water change, everything is fine but then over time it clouds up? Yeah I'd try flooding a big bucket with water and treating it, then let it sit for 2 days. See if it clouds up on you. Also, very slowly reach your hand down to the bottom and feel the bottom of the bucket for any silt.

Also have you tested for water hardness/softness?

I can't imagine a cycling problem lasting a year, so unless breaking it all down and deep cleaning everything before starting back up, something else has to be the problem. How is your filter?

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

1.) What is the temp of your tank water, and what is the temp in the room the tank is in?

2.) Have you tried filling a 5-10 G bucket from the tap for your water change, but let it sit out for 24-28 hours?

If this isn't some kind of weird bacterial bloom from outter space, I'm wondering if temp differences and water gases/minerals might be the cause. I see you're in Tampa? I have some friends down there, I can check with them but it MIGHT be an abundance of limestone particles.

So when you do a water change, everything is fine but then over time it clouds up? Yeah I'd try flooding a big bucket with water and treating it, then let it sit for 2 days. See if it clouds up on you. Also, very slowly reach your hand down to the bottom and feel the bottom of the bucket for any silt.

I can't imagine a cycling problem lasting a year, so unless breaking it all down and deep cleaning everything before starting back up, something else has to be the problem. How is your filter?
I’ll try the bucket thing when I get home
Only weird this is is that I use water from the same tap on my 5gal and it never has problems

also wym break it all down and deep clean

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

How long have you had this tank and do you have Ceramic rings in there? Do you have gravel or sand?
I’ve had it since about April, I do have those rings, and I brought them from an established tank when I got this tank, I have gravel

Upvote 0

mommameerkat

I'm curious to see how this works out for you. I'm also struggling with cloudy water, but our tank has only been set up for a couple months. We've tried everything from Seachem Clarity, large water changes, adding Pristine and Stability. We even just upgraded our filter from a Top Fin Silenstream 75 (which we took seeded media from) to a Fluval 407 and we have carbon, zeolite, Purigen, and a bunch of filter floss going from course all the way down to 50 micron pads. So frustrating!

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

So after about 2 weeks of lowered light to 4 hrs and increased water flow
Here’s the now higher PH
And the now cloudy again water
So I believe there’s a clear correlation between the high PH and cloudiness, also I did the test w leaving water in a bucket and there was no silt or anything in the water, I do have access to RO water and I could try an intense WC with that

Please check out my recent post on this thread

Attachments

• A3B089DB-0FEE-4783-A16D-E5DAB7CFD960.jpeg
    A3B089DB-0FEE-4783-A16D-E5DAB7CFD960.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 219DAD14-640C-4518-880B-30FA82DE4FEF.jpeg
    219DAD14-640C-4518-880B-30FA82DE4FEF.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

mommameerkat

So after about 2 weeks of lowered light to 4 hrs and increased water flow
Here’s the now higher PH
And the now cloudy again water
So I believe there’s a clear correlation between the high PH and cloudiness, also I did the test w leaving water in a bucket and there was no silt or anything in the water, I do have access to RO water and I could try an intense WC with that

Please check out my recent post on this thread
I just got a UV clarifier for my tank as a last resort and the results are BEAUTIFUL

Before

20210303_170504.jpg

After

20210310_170944.jpg

This was after a week of running it. It actually looks even clearer now I just haven't taken another picture yet.

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

I just got a UV clarifier for my tank as a last resort and the results are BEAUTIFUL

Before

20210303_170504.jpg

After

20210310_170944.jpg

This was after a week of running it. It actually looks even clearer now I just haven't taken another picture yet.
I’ve actually had one but it broke, they are v expensive

Upvote 0

mommameerkat

I’ve actually had one but it broke, they are v expensive
That sucks! We found one at petco for $55 I think, we got an extra 25% off though with a sale they're having right now. It was called the green killing machine. I hope you're able to figure this out! Green water sucks and is so frustrating to figure out.

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

That sucks! We found one at petco for $55 I think, we got an extra 25% off though with a sale they're having right now. It was called the green killing machine. I hope you're able to figure this out! Green water sucks and is so frustrating to figure out.
Well... I actually have the 9v green killing machine (this ones did from what I said last post) but out of 2 replacement bulbs I’ve bought of eBay. Neither light works, as in neither light triggers the light to turn on the box

Upvote 0

mommameerkat

Well... I actually have the 9v green killing machine (this ones did from what I said last post) but out of 2 replacement bulbs I’ve bought of eBay. Neither light works, as in neither light triggers the light to turn on the box
Hmm that's weird. I didn't see your last post but did it ever work at all? If so did you see results? That's the same one that I have and even though I'm pushing it on its capacity (I have a 55g and it's rated for up to 50) it's cleared the tank better than I've ever seen it. I haven't had to change the bulb though obviously so I'm not sure how that will go. I read great reviews on it though so maybe call the company and see if they'll replace it or if they have any suggestions. Can't hurt to try!

Upvote 0

Kurtcordog

How long have you had this tank and do you have Ceramic rings in there? Do you have gravel or sand?
Please see this new thread I made
I’m Restarting My Fluval 2.6 Gal, plz help | Freshwater Aquarium Discussion Forum | 495032
Hmm that's weird. I didn't see your last post but did it ever work at all? If so did you see results? That's the same one that I have and even though I'm pushing it on its capacity (I have a 55g and it's rated for up to 50) it's cleared the tank better than I've ever seen it. I haven't had to change the bulb though obviously so I'm not sure how that will go. I read great reviews on it though so maybe call the company and see if they'll replace it or if they have any suggestions. Can't hurt to try!
I’m Restarting My Fluval 2.6 Gal, plz help | Freshwater Aquarium Discussion Forum | 495032

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
  • Question
Replies
Views
alven
Replies
Views
zooey