Help With Chlorine Issue.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by HARRIS250, Apr 9, 2017.

1. H

HARRIS250 New Member Member

Very new to fish keeping.

Been using tape water treated with Tetra Aqua Safe. I have used the right amount of aqua safe (as listed on the bottle)

I have used the JBL EasyTest 6 in 1 to test for chlorine, however, it says there are high levels of chlorine still, after treating.

The EasyTest has a colour code, based system. The colour that shows up after I tested my water for chlorine is darker than the highest on the test kit.

I have wondered if I put the incorrect amount of tetra aqua safe in so I decided to take a pint of water and add a full cap (10ml) of tetra aqua safe, when I leave that for 5 minutes and test it with the 6 in 1 it still says the chlorine levels are very high.

Has anyone got any ideas why it still says there is chlorine in the water even after the water has been treated?

The 6in1 test strip doesn't have an expiry date listed anywhere, I dont know when it was bought as I bought the aquarium and test strips off someone else.

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I have never used a chlorine test, as I have always trusted that the dechlorinator would do its job. I would say the testing strips are incorrect.

3. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

It's likely that at least the chlorine part of the test strips have gone bad. Chlorine levels should go down after addition of a dechlorinator. I test my replacement water before each water change. I know the powdered chlorine test reagent has a limited shelf life and degrades upon exposure to oxygen.

4. OP
    OP
    H

HARRIS250 New Member Member

Thanks Dave, It maybe the previous owner left the cap open for too long. I shall have to get some new test strips. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I needed to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice