Help with camallanus

Nikle

I have a 20 gallon fresh water tank with 2 fish that show camallanus worms (I know I'm to assume they all have them). I first treated with a dog dewormer three times in the tank and soaked food. Nothing happened so I purchased Levamisole. I did the first 48 hr treatment as recommended (water change, no heater, 75° tank, 6.5 ph, no light, removed all plants, mixed in tank water first). Nothing happened to the worms or the fish. I contacted the seller thinking maybe the product was no good and he sent a new packet. I treated again with the new packet a week after the first treatment. Nothing happened to the worms or fish. I then did a third treatment a few days later with a double dose of the Levamisole. Nothing happened to the worms or fish. I followed another recommendation and did another dose followed by a 25% water change and second dose 24 hrs after the first. Nothing happened. I ordered more Levamisole straight from the manufacturer, followed same treatment rules but did a double dose. It's been a few hrs and the worms are still present. I am at a loss. My fish are all alive, eating and seem happy but the worms are still very much alive in my angel and platy. HELP!!!!!!!

Salem

with Levamizole you need to do the dose, then lights out, then the next day do a 25-50% wc focusing on vacuuming the substrate. It doesn't kill the worms only paralyzes them. You will need to repeat this process 4 times over 4 weeks as the remaining eggs and young hatch and grow.

You aren't going to notice immediate results because it takes time for them to become paralyzed and slip out of the fish. If they aren't removed then they will simply go back in.

Nikle

Do I re dose after the water change? When do the worms become paralyzed? I have done a few different treatments, first per instructions (48hrs) then the water change after 24 hrs and 12 hrs and re dose. This has been a three week process of both leaving the medication per instructions and changing water after the 12 and 24 hr periods and re dosing. I have never kept the lights on and removed the carbon filter at first. After no results, I removed all filters except the mesh to keep large debris from reentering the tank. The parasites are still active in the fish.

Salem

The medication only paralyzes them for about 24 hours in total. Re-dosing afterwards won't do anything. General schedule goes as follows;
Dose aquarium
12-24 hours later 50% water change focusing on siphoning the gravel
Wait 5-7 days
Dose aquarium again
12-24 hours later 50% water change focusing on siphoning the gravel
Wait 5-7 days
repeat 2-3 more times

H Farnsworth

Levamisole HCL from subquaria

Nikle

Ok, I did order directly from subquaria this time. I did a 50% water change and treated with levamisole. I will do another water change today and hope for the best. I still see the worms hanging from my angel. So irritating.Thank you for your help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
MrTomFish
Replies
Views