Help With Building A Tank Lid?

kanzekatores
Hi, I got a tank from people who haven't used it in a few years so I've been cleaning it and fixing it up so that I'll be able to use it, but there is one problem: It doesn't have a lid. I was wondering: can you buy those separate? If not, how could you build them? I was thinking about using outside corner molding, glass slabs and glueing or fastening on a handle so that one glass slab is slide-able so that I have a gap for feeding the fish. I don't know if I'll get very much advice on this, but do you know how to build them? Or can you just buy random separate lids for 10 gallons?
My dimensions are 12 x 20 x 10 in case you were wondering. Any advice? Thanks!

Lorekeeper
You can buy plastic 10 gallon hoods pretty cheap.

I'm using a piece of 1/8" glass and a foam handle for a lid on my tank. Not exactly sturdy, and not super convenient, but it works.

Sanderguy777
If it's a 10 gallon, it should come up in a Google search by the billion!
I think I saw a replacement lid by aqueon. But there should be tons on Amazon or eBay. Just choose with or without a light...
To build it, you really only need a piece of plexiglass (unbreakable) and then a light if you need it.

kanzekatores
Okay

ASHLEY R COOK
Measure where your lid will sit. If it has a rI'm measure inside the lip where it sits. I bought a Top Fin glass top for my top fin tank and it a little too long so I couldn't use and it was suppose to have been made for my tank size. My tank measures 28.5in so I'm gonna have to DIY an acrylic lid bc I can't find any that measurement. If you use YouTube you'll find lots of DIY lid videos. But you might have a tank that measures good and you'll find a lid! GL

fissh
Foster and Smith are the cheapest on glass tops.

kanzekatores
Yeah, I think I'll be able to find a lid to buy because my 10 gal tank has the usual dimensions so it shouldn't be that hard to find. If not, I can build one and I might need YouTube's help on that but I think I'm good, thanks for all your help.

goldface
I cut my own plexiglass (acrylic?). Did a terrible job at it too, but it works.

I think those versa top lids are too expensive, and also the hinges get in the way of my lighting.

Anyway, I called a hardware store that both sells and cuts glass all for just $12.

kanzekatores
Thanks for your help, but I think I don't need any more comments for now. I'll tell you if I get a lid, and if not, you can help me build one. Thanks.

Sanderguy777
I cut my own plexiglass (acrylic?). Did a terrible job at it too, but it works.

I think those versa top lids are too expensive, and also the hinges get in the way of my lighting.

Anyway, I called a hardware store that both sells and cuts glass all for just $12.
Probably plexiglass is the brand of acrylic. But not 100% on that.

fissh
plexiglass is a brand name for acrylic.

kanzekatores
Since the area of the top of my tank is 240, I was thinking that I could get one square of 120 in. squared glass and another of 180 in. squared glass and have the 180 one overlap the other one. They could lay on top of white corner molding and I can make any type of handle very easily and just glue it on. I'll probably make my own out of those materials just so it's less expensive or if not I found a perfect lid on e-bay:

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WiccaFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
CTYankee79
Replies