Help With Botia Striata

1. alexbeal1117

alexbeal1117 Valued Member Member

My Botia striata has been doing great since I got him almost 2 weeks ago. My aquarium has been cycled and he was the last addition to my 30 Gallon. He's usually around this one corner until he decides to rummage about. But I got home tonight and fed the fish. After a minute or 2 he's typically going after a Aqueon Shrimp pellet. But I couldn't find him. After a bit of looking I found him in a hiding spot on a piece of driftwood. I can only see the tail but he seems a bit pale and he's hiding. I don't know if he's doing this because it's late at night and the lights were off and the moonlights were on. But does anyone have an idea to why he's like this? I did a 4 gallon water change earlier today and all my parameters are good and as usual. Even my Otos are doing good

2. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

Zebra loaches can have difficulties adapting due to their shoaling nature. They prefer to be in groups. He could have been hiding for a multitude of reasons. Sometimes they just simply find strange places to rest, but they will also hide if they feel threatened by their tankmates or significant changes to their environment, such as changes in water condition or temperature. Watch the fella for a couple of days. I would suggest adding about 4 more of them to your tank, depending on your current stocking.

3. OP
    OP
    alexbeal1117

alexbeal1117 Valued Member Member

I'm planning on adding 1-2 more. But all the fish leave him alone. I reached into the tank and put some shrimp pellets in front of where he was hiding before I went to bed. When I woke up he seemed a lot better. The pellets were gone and he was swimming around. His color seemed to be back as well

4. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

That's good to hear, loaches can get slightly moody under certain circumstances.

3 or more would be best, I have found that when keeping any Botiine loach, they tend to do best either being the only one of their kind in their tank or in a small group. When you only have 2, they can get competitive and one loach might end up getting bullied into "depression" as I call it or even get scared of eating around the other loach. They develop and alpha-pack relationship, meaning that the school will follow the actions of the alpha, such as allowing the alpha to eat first, or how the rest of the school will tend to rest in the same proximity around the alpha. I have witnessed much better success with singluar Polka dot loaches than zebra loaches. They more you keep, the better.

Remember, when keeping any Botiine loach:
    1 fish=Can be okay, depending on species and present tank mates

2 fish=One asserting dominance over the other

3 fish=moderate rate of success with some dominance issues

4 or More fish=functioning tribe. The more, the merrier.