help with bogwood

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by scotty b, Nov 29, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i got a large nice piece of bogwood from a local fish breeder and it was cured but he let it sit in a bucket and the water went stagnant and now the bogwood is smelly:( if i soak it it clean water will it help?

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You'll probably want to boil it before use. If you can't, pour boiling water over it for a while. Then soak it a while. Don't use cleaners; the wood will soak them up and then leach them into your tank.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would check it thoroughly for any rotten areas as these would foul your tank. If there are none I would try to boil it if possible repeatedly, who knows what kind of critters are in/on it after sitting in stagnant water.

4. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

Hmmm... soak it, wash it in the tub and scrub it with a brush. There might be some bacteria on the surface.
    I think that should be enough.
    But try to let it sit for a day in water, afterwards. If it keeps a clean look, my guess is it's safe...

5. OP
    OP
    scotty b

ive soaked it in scolding hot water and the smell has subsided i plan to soak over night then set it up in a 10 gallon for the time being to try and test it out plan to atach java fern and anubias

the smell came back with a vengeance what to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

It it kind of a rotten-egg smell? I would say don't use it. There may be a buildup of dangerous gases inside of it.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have a piece of driftwood, 47" long in my 33g long tank. I bought it from a Mom/Pop type fish store. They had a very large tank full of driftwood and nothing else. No filtration on the tank at all. The wood smelled stagnant, and I could feel the slime so I just poured boiling water over it and placed it in the tank. All is good! :)

Note, the wood still smelled after pouring boiling water over it.

I think chances are good that the wood will be fine.

Your call.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    scotty b

im cycleing a 10 gallon and i think i shall add the driftwood to it untill the cycle finishes and add it to my main tank, now if only i could pull off a aquascape lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice