help with bogwood

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by scotty b, Nov 29, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i got a large nice piece of bogwood from a local fish breeder and it was cured but he let it sit in a bucket and the water went stagnant and now the bogwood is smelly:( if i soak it it clean water will it help?

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

You'll probably want to boil it before use. If you can't, pour boiling water over it for a while. Then soak it a while. Don't use cleaners; the wood will soak them up and then leach them into your tank.

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I would check it thoroughly for any rotten areas as these would foul your tank. If there are none I would try to boil it if possible repeatedly, who knows what kind of critters are in/on it after sitting in stagnant water.

4. Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Hmmm... soak it, wash it in the tub and scrub it with a brush. There might be some bacteria on the surface.
    I think that should be enough.
    But try to let it sit for a day in water, afterwards. If it keeps a clean look, my guess is it's safe...

5. OP
    OP
    scotty b

ive soaked it in scolding hot water and the smell has subsided i plan to soak over night then set it up in a 10 gallon for the time being to try and test it out plan to atach java fern and anubias

the smell came back with a vengeance what to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  6. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

It it kind of a rotten-egg smell? I would say don't use it. There may be a buildup of dangerous gases inside of it.

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I have a piece of driftwood, 47" long in my 33g long tank. I bought it from a Mom/Pop type fish store. They had a very large tank full of driftwood and nothing else. No filtration on the tank at all. The wood smelled stagnant, and I could feel the slime so I just poured boiling water over it and placed it in the tank. All is good! :)

Note, the wood still smelled after pouring boiling water over it.

I think chances are good that the wood will be fine.

Your call.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    scotty b

im cycleing a 10 gallon and i think i shall add the driftwood to it untill the cycle finishes and add it to my main tank, now if only i could pull off a aquascape lol