Help with Betta fins

Carolann

So I'm not sure if my Betta is ripping his fins, or if he's got fin rot. I know my substrate is sharp(cut me) and I'm trying to get time to remedy that(I already have new substrate, just trying to find enough time to redo my tank), he had some tearing of his tail and that was basically it for a week or so, and then, today when I went to feed him, I noticed he also had tearing on his dorsal fin. I'll attach before and now photos below. What can I do? His tank is pretty sparse for decor right now, and the only things in there are some plants, a Betta floating log, and then the heater and filter.

Thank you!

The first photo is now, the next two are before, the last few are now.

Ghelfaire

Bettas with long fins will tear them when bored. Get him some plants/decorations and he should stop. Make sure to change up the layout to prevent future boredom, they like to explore.

Motherlovebetta

You could try some floating plants too mine likes the cover. Also, make sure his water is really clean and you could dose it with stress coat. Indian almond leaves make my guy bubble nest pretty much as soon as I put them in. How big is your tank?

Carolann

You could try some floating plants too mine likes the cover. Also, make sure his water is really clean and you could dose it with stress coat. Indian almond leaves make my guy bubble nest pretty much as soon as I put them in. How big is your tank?
10 gallon
I have some almond leaves, how many do I put in? And how long do they last?
Bettas with long fins will tear them when bored. Get him some plants/decorations and he should stop. Make sure to change up the layout to prevent future boredom, they like to explore.
I haven't been able to have really any light on either, anytime even my bedroom light is on, he flares at the glass like crazy, what can I do about this?

grac3

You can put 1-2 almond leaves in and they last for a while. I usually change mine once a month. You can also try rescaping his tank and add more plants :)

Carolann

So I just added him to his rescaped tank. In about 10-15 minutes, he was done exploring and off to flare at his reflection again. He is not really taking a break either. Idk what to do.

Attached is a photo of his new setup. I also have white paper on the sides. So far, he seems to be mainly flaring at the back. There are two almond leaves in there with him.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MissPanda
Replies
Views
LagerthaM
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views