Help with battling this algae problem

kaleen
I’ve been fighting this algae for weeks now. I’m not exactly sure what kind it is, but it’s green/brown and comes off in sheets and flakes. It comes off pretty easy. It grows on every surface, the glass, decorations, gravel, etc. My water is perfectly clear so it’s not waterborne algae, just grows on surfaces.

I went through and got as much off of everything as a could today while I was doing a water change. The tank looks much better but I know it’s going to come back soon if I don’t do something else about it. I also think it may be overloading my filter. The tank is 55 gallons and I have a Quietflow 75 on it, and it still struggles sometimes. I look in the filter and it’s just filled to the brim with gunk and algae.

I did my best to dim my LEDs a little, and I might do a blackout for a while if needed, but I’d rather not since I have live plants (java fern and anubius).

I also plan on starting co2 soon. Not DIY, but from a tank. I just need to buy the tank and the regulator.

I have a couple pictures of what’s left of the algae. The water is cloudy because of the water change I did (it was long overdue).

Any ideas on what this algae is and how I can get rid of it for good?

Betta'sAnonymous
Snails can help keep it in check.

kaleen
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Snails can help keep it in check.
I do have one and I plan on getting more but they don’t seem to be fast enough to keep up with it. It comes back extremely fast and all the snails I get seem to be lazy haha. How many would you recommend for a 55 gallon with a ton of algae?

Broggy
quite a few, but you only need to get a few and have them reproduce. be sure there aren't any things that will eat them.

Pfrozen
I agree that it sounds like blue green. Other algaes don't flake off in sheets. the product recommended above is excellent, I always have some on hand

StarGirl
Yeah nothing is gonna eat that.

kaleen
Top Bottom