HELP with baby Trout

Finnthefisher

Reaction score
I have some very small baby fish from a river that I am keeping in a tank. How do I take care of them? Been changing the water and feeding them some reptomin food. Will they need a fresh oxygen supply too? Would like to keep them and watch them grow - how do I do so? I am willing to immediately release them back to their source if it’s not possible

Attachments

Best Answer - View Redshark1's answer

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have to match the water parameters of the destination water to the source water and feed live food at least initially.

Indoors the water is likely to be too warm.

Oxygenation is also vitally important.

It is likely that fish from a river require very clean water which may not be possible to provide. They effectively are getting constant water changes. Filtration and current needs should be met.

OP
F

Finnthefisher

Reaction score
Thanks - they have been surviving for about 3-4 days in the environment they are currently in and seem healthy - does that mean it’s okay for them at the time? We use sink water and have been putting a few ice cubes in to cool it. As I mentioned I’d like to keep them but if it’s going to be too difficult I will release them. What should I begin doing?

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finnthefisher said:
Thanks - they have been surviving for about 3-4 days in the environment they are currently in and seem healthy - does that mean it’s okay for them at the time? We use sink water and have been putting a few ice cubes in to cool it. As I mentioned I’d like to keep them but if it’s going to be too difficult I will release them. What should I begin doing?
I think you should begin setting up a tank for them and cycling it if you want to keep them long term.

OP
F

Finnthefisher

Reaction score
Okay thanks - what tank do you recommend I buy? And am I feeding them the right thing? (Sorry for the questions, never have kept fish!)

Killies

Reaction score
Honestly, you should put them back in their natural environment. I hate to be that annoying guy, but you won’t be able to give the best home for the fish from what I’m seeing you say. You need to stop being selfish and think of the well-being of the fish. It might also be a fry and grow to a larger size, but would be stunted in the small tub you’re keeping it in. Also, at least cycle a tank.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would be best to return them to where you caught them. Wild fish, especially a brook species like trout, need cold running highly oxygenated water. You would need a large tank (I'd guess 125 gallons+) and some pricey equipment (powerheads and chillers and a large air pump coupled with frequent large water changes) and a lot of experience to successfully keep trout fry to adulthood.
If you want to start keeping fish that is GREAT, but step one is to buy the tank and equipment, the biggest one you can afford and have space for, and then see what will go in it that you like.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not entirely sure those are trout fry, more likely they are a species of minnow or creek chub. If they are trout then I'm guess it is illegal to keep them as pets due to them being a heavily regulated game fish.

It is pretty difficult to recreate the conditions of a stream/river. The water is often rather cool, highly oxygenated and has a steady current. Seeing as they are tiny little guys they won't eat anything but wiggling live foods so I think it's best to return them to the river where you found them.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a little experience with helping at a trout hatchery. They are a cold water fish. As adults 15 degrees Celsius is the preferred temperature . The equipment needed to keep trout is extensive as MomeWrath wrote.

Can I also suggest you return the wild fish. Very soon.
Can I also recommend you search more pictures of danios . A cold water fish that looks a lot like trout but it’s needs are much more suited to the home aquarium.
69A5C936-EA4A-4958-85F7-CE14EE36E295.png

New Threads