Help With Baby Angels

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jiminey, Jul 20, 2017.

1. JimineyNew MemberMember

IMG_1603.JPGIMG_1604.JPGIMG_1603.JPG Somewhat unexpectedly we have become fish parents. We had noticed a bunch of eggs last week in the 20 gallon tank I had 4 juvenile Angels and a few Mollies in. As the Angels we're getting bigger I managed to acquire a 55 gallon I had planned to move them into. The eggs were white and seemed to be all gone a few hours later so we didn't think much more of it. 2 days ago I come home to some wigglers stuck to a plant so setup the 55 asap to move 2 angels into and tossed the mollies into a 10 gallon I had a few other fish in.

Any advice on what to do from here? I still have the parents in with them and they seem to be caring for them. I count only about 10, but after a couple days, the 10 are still there. Do I feed the parents more, or feed any special foods? I turned the filter down to a slow trickle to lessen the water current, and intake suction, is this necessary? Should I do extra or fewer water changes?

Any advice would be appreciated. For the moment it's the parents with the baby's in just a 20 gallon

2. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

Personally I would separate the parents from the babies, but I think getting some fry food should be first on your agenda. Congrats on the babies! :)

3. OP
    OP
    J

JimineyNew MemberMember

The parents actually seem to be parenting. I had watched them eat a baby, or so I thought... then place the baby back on a leaf again. They have been moved a couple times to different spots. Would moving the parents out at this point stress them out?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2017
  4. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

It is up to you really, some people remove the parents and some choose to leave them in :) i guess if they aren't killing the fry off it'll be okay to leave them in the same tank.

5. OP
    OP
    J

JimineyNew MemberMember

Came home this evening and the babies all have mostly gotten off the leaves and are now free floating.

Any advice on the filter setting. I have it turned way down to a trickle, might it be better to shut it down completely for a couple days, or should I keep it going strong to keep the water at its best. Increasing water changes to daily. IMG_1606.JPG

6. Fish-whisperValued MemberMember

I wouldn't turn the filter off you will lose your BB. If the current is strong maybe you can baffle it. Your angel looks just like mine, only difference is my angel has about 100 fry swimming around. My fry are going to be pulled soon. I have another 30 ready for the grow tank, that will make room in the fry tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice