Help With Aqueon Heater

Becknewt24

so I bought a 100 watt heater from aqueon for my 36 gallon, but it didn’t go up above 68 degrees. Usually we keep our house at 66-69 degrees, so would that be why? And would I need to get a 150 watt instead?

Reeferxbetta

What heater is it? There's one type of aqueon heater that's I've always had issues with. Is the indicator lamp coming on to show that's it's actually heating? Also how long has it been in the tank? I would give it 1-2 days before testing to see if it's keeping the right temperature. If the heater is only keeping the tank at what's basically room temperature, it's definitely not working right, 100 watts should definitely raise the temp in 36 gallons.

Seasoldier

I know this may be a stupid question but have you set it to the temp you want? it should be adjustable from 68 to 88 degrees F.

Becknewt24

I know this may be a stupid question but have you set it to the temp you want? it should be adjustable from 68 to 88 degrees F.

Yes

What heater is it? There's one type of aqueon heater that's I've always had issues with. Is the indicator lamp coming on to show that's it's actually heating? Also how long has it been in the tank? I would give it 1-2 days before testing to see if it's keeping the right temperature. If the heater is only keeping the tank at what's basically room temperature, it's definitely not working right, 100 watts should definitely raise the temp in 36 gallons.

It’s been 2 weeks, and th light was on. Any recommendations?

Seasoldier

It’s been 2 weeks, and th light was on. Any recommendations?

If it's been two weeks with the red light on & still not reached the temp you set it for then it sounds defective, possibly a thermostat fault??? I'd take it back & go for an exchange for a new one.

jmaldo

The recommended size for over 3o gal is 150 watt. What temp are you trying to maintain. As mentioned might be defective. Just an idea try moving the thermometer to a different spot and see what the temp is. If still no change and you have it set correctly then it might be defective. If you return it, get the 150 watt.

Reeferxbetta

Make sure the thermometer is reading accurately, if it's been on for two weeks and is maintaining room temp, I'd return it, personally I think the standard aqueon submersible heaters suck, mine malfunctioned and started melting and bubbling and would've probably exploded, I've talked to a lot of people who had the same thing happen… I know aqueon makes one that's called like the aqueon pro that's supposed to be better, but I haven't used it. I've found the fluval and eheim heaters to be good, and the eheim one has a 3 year warranty I believe.

Becknewt24

If it's been two weeks with the red light on & still not reached the temp you set it for then it sounds defective, possibly a thermostat fault??? I'd take it back & go for an exchange for a new one.

I bought a 150 today, and the temp was cold and the thermostat was working.

The recommended size for over 3o gal is 150 watt. What temp are you trying to maintain. As mentioned might be defective. Just an idea try moving the thermometer to a different spot and see what the temp is. If still no change and you have it set correctly then it might be defective. If you return it, get the 150 watt.

I bought a 150 and I compared the temp in there with my 2.5 and the thermostat was working correctly for sure.

Make sure the thermometer is reading accurately, if it's been on for two weeks and is maintaining room temp, I'd return it, personally I think the standard aqueon submersible heaters suck, mine malfunctioned and started melting and bubbling and would've probably exploded, I've talked to a lot of people who had the same thing happen… I know aqueon makes one that's called like the aqueon pro that's supposed to be better, but I haven't used it. I've found the fluval and eheim heaters to be good, and the eheim one has a 3 year warranty I believe.

Yeah I'm going to try my luck with this 150 and if it doesn't work, I'm not going to buy one again.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jreinhart
  • Question
  • blindfaith429
  • Heater
Replies
Views
blindfaith429
  • Popcornlover15
  • Heater