Help With Apistos!

1. C

Connor Beckmann New Member Member

Ive had a very young pair of apistogramma cacatoudies for about 14 days now and they spawned already! My question is, are the cherry shrimp and the 1.5in Siamese Algae Eater going to be ok? Can i remove the eggs to calm the mothers aggression? Or with they just spawn again?

Attached Files:

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

From what I've read and heard the mothers are usually quite good with caring for the eggs. Do the other fish intrude and bother her? You might want to remove the male if anything. Otherwise you can leave the parents with them and see how they do. They'll spawn again :)

3. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

If you were to remove the eggs, youd need to put them into an egg rocker or a tank with constant/ higher water flow. The eggs may get fungus on them otherwise and compromise the clutch. (The parents 'fan' the eggs to prevent this) The parents will defend their eggs relentlessly. So if any fish or shrimp go over to there nesting area, they will be nipped at or chased away. The male is mostly responsible for this.

If you were to take the male out, theyll be less aggression overall, but the female may not be able to do both jobs, so the clutch may not do as well.

If youre trying to breed them, I wouldnt keep anything with them in the tank, once the babies begin to grow, youre going to find that youre way over stocked and need another tank.

If youre able to catch and net the majority of the fry, you may be able to move them into another tank to grow out. (You wanna move them once theyve consumed their egg-sacs and are eating baby flake, its harder to maintain them if you move them before that point) but after about 2 weeks after eggs are laid, you should be okay to move the fry.

But youre going to have at least anywhere from 25-50+ babies. If all goes well.

4. kayla.s

From everything I've read/watched/heard the father doesn't have much to do with the eggs after fertilizing them and the mother does all the protecting (she chases him away from eggs and male may guard the area, but if you don't have other fish in there that will try fight then he's not really necessary), and the father is likely to try eat them once they start to swim...

5. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I know my Borellii male will eat the fry, as soon as she brings the fry out of the cave I remove the male, after about 6-8 weeks I remove the fry, be prepared the fry grow like frozen molasses, mine will be 8 weeks old in 3 days and are still only about 1/4" long the runts even smaller. Good luck, and keep us posted.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Im honestly not very well equipped to handle the babies. I don't have another tank to move any fish into. If I remove the eggs completely and dispose of them, will the fish go back to normal? I want to breed them in the future, but I wasn't ready for them to breed now, and I didn't think they would yet because the male and female are still only an inch long. I would hate to dispose of the eggs because I would love to witness the process as I have never before bred fish. But I think it will lead to a lot of problems. Would it be wrong to dispose of the eggs?

7. kayla.s

No need to dispose of them. Let the parents try their hand at raising them, I doubt you'll come out with a lot of fry but if you don't have lots of tanks that's perfect. The parents usually need some practice anyway. And if they get eaten, hey free food to fatten the parents up for the next spawn! ;)

8. OP
    OP
    C

Ok, sounds good! My only concern is them picking on the siamese AE. But i haven't seen any chasing going on this morning, and the siamese AE is actually a little bigger than the Apistos, so he will probably be fine. Ill just keep an eye out, And I guess a big water change does cause them to spawn. I did a 70% water change yesterday and she laid eggs last night.

9. yukondog

Like kayla said just leave them, some times they need a few breeding's to get it right, and nothing wrong with letting them eat them.

10. kayla.s

Well congrats! And good luck with it! Hopefully mine will breed in the next few months too ;)

11. Kjdts3

Kjdts3 New Member Member

I also agree to just leave them. My a.borelli spawn every two weeks like clockwork. I've had them since March and they've successfully raised fry once and only 7 out of 60+ fry have survived (now 6wks old) the male eats the majority of them once they are free swimming. I only have one tank so I leave things go as they will and what survive I will be giving to my lfs. My female gives chase to the oto's and cardinal tetras in the tank but has never caused any damage to them.

12. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

Agreeing as well, Just leave them alone in the tank and let nature take it's course. The broods should get larger as they continue to learn and spawn. I've had kribs and convicts in the past. My convicts first brood was majority food...They took care of them for about a week, then I fed them freeze dried brine shrimp, and immediately after eating the shrimp they began to cannibalize the babies. (I still have no clue why the shrimp set em off). They've had about 6 successful broods afterward. This could be your apistos 'practice' brood.

13. yukondog

Don't want to hack you but, FishGirl do your fry grow really slow?

14. OP
    OP
    C

I
    How big are they? I didn't expect mine to breed for another few months

Thats terrible and hilarious at the same time but i will keep everyone updated as things progress!