Help with angel fish gender?

1. Julie Moua Initiate Member

I have 4 angel fish but I have a really hard time in identifying the sex. Can you guys help me out figure which one is female and which is male?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How old are they or what size? Even the experts have a hard time sexing angels but an educated guess may help. bizaliz3 springs immediately to mind:)

3. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Lol was just gonna say that too aquaphobia! Lol

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I wish I could help....but it is really just too hard to tell with angels in my opinion. There are a couple other members on here who are pretty quick to sex them despite the fact that it is never a guarantee......maybe they could help. I can't remember who it was though. :-( Sorry

I usually try and look at the slope of the head. If there is a hump that is indicative of a male. But not always. And most often the females have more of a diagonal incline to their head.....

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I don't believe Angels can be sexed unless they either lay eggs or they took part and eggs hatch. There may be subtleties that I'm not familiar enough with, but the head thing I don't believe, as I've had females with humps and males without. A hump can form on both sexes with a sudden increase in feeding/growth rate...

I don't know of any ichthyologist who has ever claimed that Angels can be sexed.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

8. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The silvers are both in such bad physical condition that I would not hazard a guess. The dark marble has some male characteristics, but not enough to say 100%. The gold marble isn't showing enough to try to sex, either.

All 4 are not in top physical condition. Sexing Angels really requires mature, healthy individuals. It is not as impossible as some think, once those requirements are met.