Help With Ammonia And Ph Levels

1. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

this morning i did a 50% water change in my 10 gal because my betta died in it yesterday (it was also time to change the water). I just bought ammonia and ph test kits for the first time (the droplet/liquid mixture kind, no strips) and the results, after the water change say approximately 4.0 in ammonia and a ph of around 7.6.
    Everything that I've read said just weekly water changes to fix the ammonia, but is there anything more i can do, i'm worried about the remaining fish

2. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

You need to immediately do another water change. Keep doing them about 1 hour apart until you get that ammonia as close to 0 as you can. The water is literally burning the fish right now. Also if you can pick up Seachem Prime to use as your water conditioner, that protects fish for 24 hours for 1ppm ammonia and nitrites. You can dose up to 5x in emergency situations. What is your nitrite at?

Edit: sorry, just saw you can only test ammonia and ph. Your ph is fine. Can you get the API freshwater master test kit? We really need to be testing nitrites and nitrates as well.

3. OP
    OP
    Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

okay, i was worried changing the water over and over would be worse.
    okay, i was worried that changing the water over and over would be worse. thanks