HELP with algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by fengshui, Jul 13, 2015.

1. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

Recently I've began to up the amount and number of times I feed my fish gradually, however; several types of algae have popped along the glass. I currently have an eheim 250, marine land bio wheel 250 and an aquaclear 110 on the 29 gallon with two hydor koralia 425s. The tank is stocked with black sand, a large centerpiece rock and 6 juvenile high quality blood parrots. Please spare me the details and unethical ways of manmade fish as I understand and do not fully support the ways but adore the fish! Thanks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

How long has the tank been running? What is your lighting schedule and your feeding schedule? What kind of lights are on the tank? Is it exposed to any direct sunlight?

3. OP
    OP
    fengshui

The tank has been running for 4 years, lighting schedule is basically my sleeping schedule which is 14 hours light and 10 hours sleep. My feeding schedule is half of tablespoon of whatever is mixed in the spoon which could be any of the following in the pictures since I mix often. It's exposed to indirect sunlight mostly! [​IMG]

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Did you recently get the fish? What is your water change schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. LiterallyHydro

14 hours is a lot of light. You may want to dial that back to the 8-12 range. How often are you feeding? once daily?

6. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Nope all fish have been in there for at least a couple of years!

How is my food though is it good or more?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  7. LiterallyHydro

I see good variety in there. A few frozen foods like brine/mysis shrimp and bloodworms would top off their diet.

How often do you do water changes and how big are they? What are your nitrate readings? Do you have a phosphate test kit?

8. AquaticBrandon

It could be that you're running your light too long.

9. OP
    OP
    fengshui

That could be true but could I resolve this with a UV sterilizer?

10. LiterallyHydro

I personally wouldn't invest the unnecessary money to get the UV sterilizer to run in the tank. It would be better to just lower your light schedule a little bit. You likely aren't looking at your tank from sun up until sun down anyway. They could have a few extra hours of lights off time.

11. OP
    OP
    fengshui

I RARELY do water changes since I count on my overrated filters for their overkill filtration! My nitrate readings are usually around the 40-60 ppm area! And no kit...

But it can't hurt getting a UV sterilizer, money is not s problem when it comes to fish lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  12. AquaticBrandon

I wouldn't really invest in a UV sterilizer, IMO. By figuring out what is causing this algae you will be able to get rid of it. I would cut back lightning, if it doesn't work get some test kits like they mentioned above. It could be that there is too many nutrients in the water and that's causing the algae.

13. AquaticBrandon

Do a Water change. That's too high

14. LiterallyHydro

The amount of filtration on your aquarium does not reflect how many water changes you should be doing. Water changes are for nutrient export to bring your nitrates down. It is also for replenishing trace elements in your aquarium that is needed for fish.

Those nitrates are also pretty high, I would do the water changes to bring it back down to 20ppm or less.

weekly 50% water changes usually suffice in most tanks.

15. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Ok will do when I have the time. Did not know that there were trace elements that water changes replaced! What exactly are these?

16. AquaticBrandon

I'm guessing the water changes are your problem. With all the food you're feeding and stuff there is too many nutrients in the water. Do some water changes and that should help. Don't just rely on the filters and think that you won't need to do a water change, a water change is needed :)

17. LiterallyHydro

I wouldn't recommend this site for anything, but they have a list of some of the trace elements involved in fishkeeping.

You may want to test the pH in your tank as well. If you haven't done water changes for a while it may have started to fall, since the water would soften over time as the buffer is used.

18. OP
    OP
    fengshui

pH falls over time if a water change wasn't made?! What's the pH I would need to maintain for blood parrots? Thanks everyone so much for the quick replies and deep input I really appreciate it!

19. LiterallyHydro

They should be able to adapt to a wide range of pH. The thing is though, with very little buffer in the water, the pH is prone to fluctuate, which would actually be a problem.

Don't worry too much about raising the pH to a certain level, a good water change schedule should keep it pretty consistent.

20. OP
    OP
    fengshui

What is a buffer? I thought buffer was chemicals applied to water and not already in the water?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice