Help With Algae Growing On Java Moss

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can anyone tell me what this is growing on my java moss? I don't think it's staghorn (I do currently have a problem with staghorn) because it's just different and comes apart more easily. I have tried spot dosing with excell but it does not kill it off or turn it red or anything. It only seems to be growing on the java moss.

I can take it off of the java moss easily but it just keeps coming back. Irritating!!
IMG_0406.png IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0409.JPG

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
looks like hair algae how long are your lights on and what do you have living in the tank. I think trying a few ghost shrimp would be a good temporary start to see if they eat it till you figure out the root of the algae issue.

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, thank you. The lights are only on for 6hrs a day. I do a split 3onx3offx3on. I am running co2 during this time everything on a timer. I only have 6 neons and several snails in the tank. My snails wont touch the stuff for some reason.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
sometimes manual removal helps a lot and really cutting down on the lights and even 2-3 day blackouts will take care of it.

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sounds about right. I think I will just cut down on the intensity slowly and see how it reacts to that. Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom