Help With Acclimation Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by appcontrol, Apr 24, 2018.

1. appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

Ok so i am getting 5 otocinclus and they will travel for 6 hours in appropriate box etc.
    So i usually when i get new fish i put opend bag in tank, clip it to glas and with big syringe i remove 3 full syringe of bag water and add 3 of tank water etc. for at least 20-30 minutes max (we have same water so no need for longer period) then i add them to tank. But my fishes dont travel more than 15 minutes so no ammonia problems but with 6+ hours of traveling i am not sure how to do it right.
    I watched videos on youtube, some of them don't acclimate just trow fish in tank and some do drip acclimation what is your opinion how to do it right and make sure that survival of them will be at maximum level?

2. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

I think drip acclimation is best, 6 hours is not incredibly long so I’d think id be okay

3. appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

Do you have experience with it? How long shoud i do it? I have iv system so i can use it.

Plus would it be a good idea to put voogle (easy life immunity buster) or (ffm easy life fluid filter media)?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  4. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Take a airline tube and put one end in the tank and suck on the other end and water will siphon from the tank into the bag.

It's just like gravel cleaning, except your transferring water from the tank into the bag.

5. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Unless something has changed in the last few years, Otos are usually pretty finicky regardless. Theyre definitely a tough fish to keep alive. I stopped keeping them about 5 years ago because it seemed like more died than lived. At that time (and maybe still) they were all wild caught, so they went through a ton to get to our aquariums. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice