Help With A Quiet Filter

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The filter on my 5.5 Betta tank is vibrating and SO LOUD that it is driving me INSANE! I am super sensitive to noises, and I fear if I have to deal with it all the time it's going to give me a migraine! It's a this filter:

Tetra Whisper Power Filter, 5 - 10 gal

If I put the top on it it's even louder! I can't sleep at night without air plugs because the noise is so bad!

Can anyone recommend a filter that will be QUIET? But please keep in mind that i am a teacher with student loans which equals not a lot of funds haha!

I was thinking of making my own filter like from Life with Pets on YouTube, but I think an air-pump thing would be just as annoying with it's vibration!
Same with a sponge filter right? and I tried an internal filter but it was too big and just as noisy!

Thank you!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Try a Aquaclear 20. You can turn the flow down and mine are very quiet. I know what you mean, I can't have have any noise from filters when I'm trying to sleep.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s the 2nd one that I’ve gotten that buzzed and vibrates and is SO loud! I will look into the aqua clear!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I got this filter... and I still have that awful vibration noise!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s across the room but I can still hear it as it’s so noisy.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You must be having really bad luck! I’ve never had one make a vibrating sound. Maybe you could swap it out for another one?

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yours makes zero noise? This is literally the 3rd filter that I got that makes vibrating noises! I can’t deal with the noise so I end up putting in ear plugs! I am at the point where I just want to make my own filter. I saw a YouTube video how to do it and one on how to silence an air pump.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use ear plugs usually regardless because I need absolute silence lol. But no my filters are silent!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I read online that someone put Vaseline on their impeller and it quieter down and I did the same! It still makes some noise but not nearly as loud!! Too bad it didn’t work on that Tetra whiskey though. That thing is SO LOUD!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
^ I may go to the LFS tomorrow and check out sponge filters. I still need something for my 2nd tank that isn’t so noisy!

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just bought a Fluval Underwater filter for my 29g tank. The thing is dead silent. Seriously--I can't hear a thing. I can't guarantee the smaller model, appropriate for your tank, is the same, but I'd recommend the one I have as a quiet filter.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The filter is loud again!! It’s competing for loudest filter against my other TopFin one. I can’t deal with all the vibrating noises ugh!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom