Help with a new project.

Ellebrius

I need a lot of help here so this will be a long post. I am planting, scaping and cycling a 40 gallon heated tank. Got it as a gift from hubby and will have a lot of time to care for it now that I’m retired. I would like to eventually breed a pair of Angelfish but I want to take my time getting there. I want to start with little baby Angels and I was thinking 5 or 6 and hope 2 of them grow up to be a breeding pair. I don’t want to buy a grown breeding pair, I want to have the pleasure of watching mine grow. When/if I get a breeding pair I will move them to their own aquarium, also if my other Angels outgrow their 40 gallon tank I will get them a bigger one that won’t be a problem.

My first concern, while my angels are still babies, is what kind of other fish if any I could add. I will need some bottom feeders suggestions please. I would also like to have another 6 fish. I have read in the Angel fish article that many Tetra and Rasbora are best. I can live with that but they are not my favorites. In my younger days (when I had no idea what I was doing) I had a tank with two Angefish, 2 Clown Loaches loved those, and all kinds of gouramis. I read I could have Honey Gouramis with Angels but not the other kind and I’m pretty sure you will all say Clown Loaches are a no no. I wanted to ask if I could have Mollys or Plattys love their colors and if that is possible can I get only males since I don’t want a tankful of those or maybe all male guppys. Help and suggestions would be so much appreciated. Pls forgive grammar mistakes I’m French, but I specifically wanted to post in this forum for help.

bcsay720

Hello! Sounds like a fun project. I love my honey gouramis. They can get aggressive when trying to mate (so I've heard. My breeding pair has never behaved this way, but labyrinth fish have a wide range of personalities, so it's hard to generalize). I really love corydoras for bottom feeders. They're so cute when they wiggle all around the tank, and they're extremely peaceful. I recommend a hevaily planted tank, though, especially for honeys and angels together. Lots of hiding places and some broken up sightlines is always a good idea for community tanks regardless.

I'm not sure about the mollies, platies, and guppies, though.

Upvote 0

Ellebrius

How many Corys do you suggest? Would they be ok with Biosol substrate or should I add something else on top?
I’m adding new plants all the time, it will be heavily planted.
If I go for Honey Gouramis I think I will only put 2 in they will have more room that way.
Thanks for the help, I still have lots of time to decide.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

I just added a fine gravel river in my tank for my cories. Even though most of the tank is larger gravel, they barely ever try to dig in it.

I'd do at least 8 cories, but 10 would be better for more natural behaviors. They're so funny that it's worth it to have more.

Attachments

• 20210618_171014.jpg
    20210618_171014.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

Ellebrius

Your tank looks great! Beautiful plants. Hope mine look like that when they grow. I watched the video of the cories, I agree they are really cute and fun to watch I will definitely go for those, hope the shop I want to buy from has them or can get them for me when the time comes. Starting an aquarium sure teaches you to be patient.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Thank you! Yes, everything needs to be slow and patient with setting up tanks.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies