Help with a discus

SaveThemAll1

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 350 L tank with a discus and a few plecos and 2 puntius
recently he developed a weired grey black patches on his skin mainly around his mouth.
and some on his back.

Hi, im helping someone who recived a neglected tank a few mounths ago

its a 350 l tank with one discus 2 asian bees, 2 plecos and 2 puntius.

the discus started to develop greys black patches on his skin mainy around his mouth

and a bit on his back. its a bit hard to see but heres a pic

What do you think this is? the water quality wasent so great lately due to lack of WC but iil get on that now, did a 40% yesterday and will do 25% every week now. , nitrates was 40 befor the last wc

In addition i would appreciate any tips on keeping discus, i know ph and hardness are a deal with them. thank you!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Discus are a very high maintenance fish. You need to be doing 25% water changes daily, not weekly. Considering you're not doing WCs daily and just started, his issues are from poor water quatily and developed some fungal infection. You need to start keeping up with water changes from now on and start an anti fungal medication. Discus are not beginner fish because of their required daily maintenance.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Discus are a very high maintenance fish. You need to be doing 25% water changes daily, not weekly. Considering you're not doing WCs daily and just started, his issues are from poor water quatily and developed some fungal infection. You need to start keeping up with water changes from now on and start an anti fungal medication. Discus are not beginner fish because of their required daily maintenance.
I agree, and discus should be in groups, not solo.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As mentioned "Water Quality" is key. Depending on the size and bio-load of the tank inhabitants, it is "Highly " recommended to do at the very least 2-3 50%+ water changes every week.
A bunch of members here started keeping "Discus" a little over a year ago and shared our trials and tribulations. Check out the thread:
Discus Gang Updates | 420110 | Discus Fish
It is a long read, a ton of info, everthing from water, food, sickness, breeding, etc.. has been discussed.
Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

OP
S

SaveThemAll1

Reaction score
Daily WC? why? the tank is big and little stocked. If nitraets will stay below 10 with weeklty WC the is it necesery to do more?

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Personally, I felt "Daily" was unneeded. But like fingerprints every tank is different (bio-load). Of the members participating in the thread, everyone did it differently. Even had a member only do 90% wc weekly.
When I started, I went with 50% wc every 2-3 days, using aged/treated water after about a month started doing a 75% wc every 3-4 days. Now I do about 80% wc right out of the tap, once a week.

Healthy, Happy Fish.

Good Luck!

Edit: Oops... Thanks @86 ssinit , forgot about the issue. As mentioned Water Quality is "Key". Too often when problems occur, keepers right away look for a Medication to treat, when in reality a few water changes fixes the problem, along with proper tank maintenance.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have to read up on Discus. What is happening to yours is the result of poor water quality to discus. No problem to many other fish but deadly to discus. Discus need clean warm (84-86) water. Also your reef decorations can also prove fatal to a discus if they dart into it. What temp is the tank at now and how long have you had the fish?

OP
S

SaveThemAll1

Reaction score
What do you mean by "clean"?
are there other parameters other then nitirt ammonai and nitrates to look for?
the temp is 28-30 C

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not really sure on that. I’m not a nitrate chaser but I know for your best results with discus you have to change water. Even with just one. The cleaner the water the better. You just have to change water. My main tank is a planted tank with 13 discus in it. I change 50% 3x a week. If I go a day longer a few of my fish will get white spots on them. Maybe I shouldn’t say clean water maybe it’s just new water they need. But you have to do water changes. Some change 90% daily on there discus tanks.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:emoji_thumbsup:
86 ssinit said:
I shouldn’t say clean water maybe it’s just new water they need. But you have to do water changes. Some change 90% daily on there discus tanks.
Along with tank maintenance. Vacuuming and inside glass cleaning.

Healthy, Happy Fish.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
:emoji_thumbsup:
Along with tank maintenance. Vacuuming and inside glass cleaning.

Healthy, Happy Fish.
Yeah discus are beautiful fish but not at all a beginner fish. I’d say they are the most demanding fish available. Many buy them not knowing what there getting into. Lps just want to sell them. There expensive and most discus keepers won’t buy from a lps. So pet stores move them any way they can. Are the fish you have allready compatibly? I know plecos sometimes eat the slime coat off discus. That could also be the reason for the gray patch. What is the temp in your tank?

OP
S

SaveThemAll1

Reaction score
This tank is the same for a few years. i think 13 fish creates tons more bioload then one. untill now the WC was less then once a mounth{ Just to be cleaar this tank isnt mine, im helping someone with it}

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom